Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CB&Q E7 9929A, Naperville, IL, Dec. 1, 1963, photo by Chuck Zeiler

CB&Q E7 9929A, Naperville, IL, Dec. 1, 1963, photo by Chuck Zeiler

Chicago Burlington & Quincy E7 9929A, Naperville, Illinois, December 1, 1963, photo by Chuck Zeiler. The E7 was built in September 1947 (c/n 4439), and was traded as credit to GE for a U28B in February 1968.

It is pictured on the eastbound Train #2, the Galesburg Local, which made all the station stops between Galesburg and Aurora, the ones the Zephyrs skipped. On this day, the Galesburg Local has three heavyweight coaches and a former troop kitchen car from World War II converted to a storage mail car.

I could have framed this photo better, and come up with a much better photo of the train, but in cleaning the scan, I noticed a face in the house on the far left. Although this is winter, the window is open in the upper story of the house, and there is a face staring at me as I take this photo. That is my mother, and she is watching over her 15 year old son as he carelessly wanders onto railroad property and photographs this scene. Most of our mothers don't get to see what we do to get these photos, and I'm sure she's wondering what this is all about. She had the same question that most professional railroaders asked me;, "What are you going to do with all of these train photos?". I never could explain it at the time, and I doubt they would have bought into the story that I was waiting until the Internet was invented and I could plunk my photos into a place where anyone could look at them and read this story. Actually, I had no idea why I was taking all these train photos.
You can really appreciate a photo like this when "you've been there, done that", as I did 20 years ago on a visit to the Chicago area for a friend's wedding. Shot several trains there, including an eastbound freight, but from across the tracks, which sported a BN "tiger stripe" GP50 in the lead and with the Kroehler furniture factory (just out of this picture at right) for a backdrop.
The story which goes with your photo also makes IT more interesting.

Media information

Category
Vintage Passenger Train Photos - Diesel Era
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back