Lincoln, NE area shots

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Thank you for the feedback!

I decided to spend a little time trackside this evening. I got here and no more than 5 minutes later this passes by. Lucky catch I suppose since I've never seen it before.
y9asanaz.jpg

u7e5uben.jpg

UP 2100, UP 3447, and UP 2341 on the head end of a ~20 car manifest on the UP Lincoln Sub, waiting to head north to Valley this morning.

It would be awesome to chase that local from Lincoln to Valley some morning!

I completely agree, Brad! Specifically the S-curve north of Valparaiso. I've wanted a shot there for a long time.

Here's some shots I've accumulated over the past two weeks. The first one is the local running to Air Park. From my vantage point, it appears to be carloads of scrap metal. Not sure on that one though.
2014-08-11 11.26.58.jpg

Found this grain sitting on the Hobson Yard bypass track. Wasn't sure if anything other than Amtrak and the Z trains ran this line but this is the second train I've seen in the same number of drive-bys.
2014-08-15 11.54.53.jpg

Did anyone know there is a working (I think at least) semaphore located here in Lincoln? It's along the old BN line down to Nebraska City. The actual semaphore is located just off Highway 2 and Southwood Drive.
2014-08-19 13.36.50.jpg
2014-08-19 13.37.29.jpg

It's interesting that up to the 56th Street crossing, all the crossing sheds have BNSF on them but at the Pine Lake crossing, the shed has UP info on it. I know UP stores at least one string of OMAX cars closer to Nebraska City. Does that mean UP just leases that stretch of the line?

A friendly wave from the crew of this colorful lash up as they return from dropping off a string of loaded grain hoppers on the UP by the airport this morning.
af2582dac6c6a78e56eb242eb5c77c8f.jpg

My first NS Heritage: the Illinois Terminal!

Nice shot Nathan.

Nice shot from the Golf Course!

Thanks for the kind words!

Was leaving the Nebraska Men's basketball game tonight and saw a train parked outside the football stadium. Upon driving by, I noticed a NS Heritage unit! The Illinois Terminal was second in a string of 7 to 8 (didn't count) locos on a manifest. I tried to catch it at the famous 1st Street crossing but it jumped from the Creston to the St. Joe sub so I had to try to catch up. The photos are horrible blurry but it's the best my Samsung Galaxy was able to catch. Still pretty cool to see!
2014-11-16 17.20.27.jpg

2014-11-16 17.24.02.jpg

2014-11-16 17.24.09.jpg

2014-11-16 17.24.18.jpg

Good catch even if blurry! Would've tried to get out to catch it but Creighton's men's BB game had a 4:30 start :(

If you would have stayed out in the cold a whole longer, the Conrail unit wasn't too far behind it...

Between the Creighton game and also working on my house, I had no shot at either unit.

Good catch even if blurry! Would've tried to get out to catch it but Creighton's men's BB game had a 4:30 start :(

If you would have stayed out in the cold a whole longer, the Conrail unit wasn't too far behind it...

Between the Creighton game and also working on my house, I had no shot at either unit.

If I had known there was a Conrail coming, I would've definitely stayed out a bit!

Driving home from job training tonight and I spot this loaded ballast train parked on the Arbor Line (Not sure if I have that correct? The old BN line to Nebraska City.). I would say there were maybe twenty hoppers at max. The crossing is the equivalent of 33rd Street and the train was parked the minimum distance necessary to not block 27th Street crossing to the west. Curious where this guy was going to do work. I'll check it out tomorrow.

2014-11-19 22.57.48.jpg

2014-11-19 23.13.31.jpg

2014-11-19 23.14.05.jpg

Been kind of slacking as of late. I'm not a fan of cold weather. Took a trip to South Bend with a friend the other day to check on BNSF then made a stop at Ashland. Saw all three tracks through Ashland just west of the wye occupied at the same time so that was interesting. Could have witnessed a crew change for a unit grain coming off the Sioux City Sub but the dispatcher moved the change point east to get the "northbound going quicker" according to the dispatcher. Well worth the couple hours we were there!

2015-02-08 18.07.07.jpg

2015-02-08 18.16.34.jpg

Then got "caught" (maybe on purpose) at the big 6-track 1st Street crossing here in Lincoln and happened to catch the DPUs of two EB (one on Creston, the other on St. Joe) in the same picture. Nice timing if nothing else.

2015-02-09 14.23.26.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back