Lincoln, NE area shots

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Jurgy, like you said, light was not your friend, but then again, neither were those trees :)
Was it possible to position yourself further "photo" right for shot 2 to maybe catch the consist before the trees interfered? Thanks for sharing though!

Jurgy, like you said, light was not your friend, but then again, neither were those trees :)
Was it possible to position yourself further "photo" right for shot 2 to maybe catch the consist before the trees interfered? Thanks for sharing though!

Yeah, neither shot was great but I tried to make something out of nothing. I could've, but that would've forced me to cross behind "No Trespassing" signs and with the train only going 10 mph and the look I got from the engineer, I didn't want to risk it. In hindsight, I could've gone farther ahead on the road and try to shoot a "going away" shot with no trees in the shot. The first shot had no chance with the lighting. You can hardly tell off the first shot that the second and third units are CSX.

Nothing special, just a Nikon Coolpix L120. Still a while until I get a DSRL. Still have some learning to do anyways. I played with Lightroom 3 before posting the pics so hopefully you guys feel I did that right/okay. As I said, don't hesitate to comment on the photos as any suggestions or input would be appreciated!

Looking through this entire thread, it looks as though all your photos were taken with a point & shoot. I don't want to come across as an equipment $nob, but I will say that while p & s cameras take good photos under ideal conditions, they also fall short when conditions are less than ideal.

Given your continued enthusiasm for railroad photography, it may be time to upgrade to a dSLR. You don't need the late$t and most expen$ive offerings from Nikon or Canon to take internet worthy photos. My first dSLR was a Canon Rebel XSi. I still take it along on motorcycle trips despite several camera and lens upgrade$ (ouch!) for nature, landscape, and railroad photography.

With everyone upgrading to later models with HDR video capability, you can probably find some good bargains on used, older, entry level models.
http://www.kenmorecamera.com/c-1922-canon.aspx
http://www.kenmorecamera.com/c-1921-nikon.aspx

My camera equipment is always with me in my pickup, as I never know when I may run across a good photo op or grab shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given your continued enthusiasm for railroad photography, it may be time to upgrade to a dSLR. You don't need the late$t and most expen$ive offerings from Nikon or Canon to take internet worthy photos. My first dSLR was a Canon Rebel XSi. I still take it along on motorcycle trips despite several camera and lens upgrade$ (ouch!) for nature, landscape, and railroad photography.

I completely agree, as I am currently trying to find a relatively inexpensive DSLR to buy. My problem with that is that I am a college student paying for school mostly out of pocket and don't really have that kind of spending money. Regardless, my next goal is to purchase a DSLR. Its just a matter of time for me, and I'm hoping for sooner rather than later. Thanks for the advice.

Nice catch. I think that train or a similar one was sitting at Woody Yard last week off of I80 and 96th street in Omaha. Two 21XX SD60s.

down by the station in Lincoln also sure has changed. keep posting Nate. I'm always interested in what comes out of Lincoln. also to see how much BN green is left. Do you ever see anything over on the Big Red line ?

big red shop area is on old rock island. any body know if RI kept engines in Lincoln or was it just run through? just south of "r" street is a rock 3 light signal and looking south towards o street and the rock island station, now a bank, gives you the general idea where it went. Are you familiar with the bike trails? RI both south and east from their station are bike trails. the other is Mopac. i don't think they made a bike trail out of the CNW going north near 27th yet, have they?

big red shop area is on old rock island. any body know if RI kept engines in Lincoln or was it just run through? just south of "r" street is a rock 3 light signal and looking south towards o street and the rock island station, now a bank, gives you the general idea where it went. Are you familiar with the bike trails? RI both south and east from their station are bike trails. the other is Mopac. i don't think they made a bike trail out of the CNW going north near 27th yet, have they?

I know the 3 light signal you're talking about. It's right across the street from campus. I also know about the bank you're talking about. It has an electronic gate and I think a caboose sitting in the lawn as well. I'm familiar with the trails, I always thought the Mo Pac was the old line that went out east along O Street. Apparently I need to do some research. The only bike trail north that I know of runs along the creek from the water treatment plant at the old fairgrounds up towards 33rd and Superior. I don't know the route of the old CNW to know if they're the same. I live just off the interstate at 27th, so if I'm close to any old ROW I'd love to go look around and try to find old artifacts. Thanks for the info, Rick.

You are close to CNW ROW

I know the 3 light signal you're talking about. It's right across the street from campus. I also know about the bank you're talking about. It has an electronic gate and I think a caboose sitting in the lawn as well. I'm familiar with the trails, I always thought the Mo Pac was the old line that went out east along O Street. Apparently I need to do some research. The only bike trail north that I know of runs along the creek from the water treatment plant at the old fairgrounds up towards 33rd and Superior. I don't know the route of the old CNW to know if they're the same. I live just off the interstate at 27th, so if I'm close to any old ROW I'd love to go look around and try to find old artifacts. Thanks for the info, Rick.

27th and I-80 is about where the CNW ran on the way north to Davey and Ceresco. I have added a google earth shot and you will notice the line of trees running north from the housing development. I can see trestle pilings across a creek and maybe some more before it I-80.
Also the Rock Island (going east) paralleled the burlington until 48th street and then headed straight east. The bike trail follows that road bed till 92nd street. There is a bridge at 84th street very near the wally mart. Going south it went through antelope park, past the zoo and towards 27th and Hwy 2, where it goes over the BN Nebraska City line and then SW out of town.
The MOP crossed 27th street maybe 1/2 mile north of O street and then angled southeast towards 70th and O and then headed for Walton. all of that is bike trail from downtown to the burg of Wabash, many miles to the east.

Riding your bike on the land that was home to the Rocky Mountain Rocket is an odd feeling.

Attachments

• GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
    GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 214
March 3rd, 2014

Haven't posted here in a while

With the newly built arena in downtown Lincoln, they also constructed a new pedestrian bridge across the railroad tracks (and a fence) to connect to some additional parking lots away from the chaos that is the Haymarket. I shot this while walking from the Huskers baseball facilities to go work at the basketball game the other night (Go Big Red!). Could be a nice vantage point that I would like to try out some time for train watching. The second photo is more to show the newest of the pedestrian bridges that has the letters that spell 'LINCOLN' and how they light up at night. It might also provide a better view than the first bridge.
2014-03-09 15.55.18.jpg
2014-03-09 21.02.29.jpg

March 20th, 2014

Stumbled upon a crew change today. I didn't want to push my luck though with getting any closer of a shot. The leader being a CP made it pretty cool too.

Attachments

• 2014-03-20 17.43.26-1.jpg
    2014-03-20 17.43.26-1.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 241

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back