Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. USSHelm

Novices - Grumpy’s Railroad Photography Guide

Grumpy's World is a railfan blog covering parts of Kansas since 1999. The pictures (beginning in Dec 2002) aren't always dramatic but they're very consistent in their form and quality. Grumpy is a very good railroad photographer. He laid out a guide a few years back and it was instrumental in...
  2. USSHelm

Steam In The Piney Woods - 170929

Left Ruston at 0430 Friday morning bound for Palestine, TX and the Texas State Railroad. Arrived at 0900 and photographed the train at the Palestine Depot. Train departed at 1000 for Rusk, began the return trip back to Palestine at 1230, with the excursion wrapped up by 1400. Power for the day...
  3. USSHelm

Eastern Roadtrip 2017 Report - Scranton to Roanoke

On 7/21 I rolled out of Richmond bound for Dayton, OH to visit the USAF Museum. Two day drive with a stop in Cincinnati. Spent a couple days in Dayton at the museum, great museum and amazing collection. After the USAF Museum, visited family in northern PA and then began the rail leg of the trip...
  4. USSHelm

Tales of Tower 17

Back home in Texas after wrapping up freshman year at LA Tech. I live in Richmond, which is next door to Rosenberg, a crossroads for KCS, UP, and BNSF. The UP Glidden, BNSF Galveston, and KCS Rosenberg subs all intersect in Rosenberg. Dozens of trains daily, lots of photo opportunities. Tower 17...
  5. USSHelm

Tales of the Meridian Speedway

Over the past two weeks I've gotten an ATCS monitoring system operational. Radio Shack Pro-97 and a Larsen UHF whip on my trunk. This has saved a lot of time hunting down the spotty traffic here on the Speedway. After seeing what Bill Anderson has done with the Seattle area at MPs 17 and 18, and...
  6. USSHelm

Busy Day in North Louisiana (KCS Holiday Express)

Today was the last day of Thanksgiving break, and the LA Tech winter quarter begins tomorrow. Came up from Houston a day early on Monday because this free day happened to line up with the movement of the KCS Holiday Express from Jefferson, TX to Monroe LA. The shortest line between the two...
  7. USSHelm

Rattling Around Monroe, LA

Good study habits. Learn 'em, live 'em, love 'em. Had a few hours open so I headed east for my first foray to Monroe just down the road from Ruston. Checked out the KCS, and UP yards along with the railroad bridge over the Ouachita River north of I-20. EMD GP40-2 sitting in the KCS...
  8. USSHelm

Exploring Gibsland and Homer, LA

Rattled around Homer, Athens, and Gibsland, LA most of Saturday morning. Gibsland has a park right on the Meridian Speedway, good lines of sight, and a covered picnic area. Nice place to wait. Caught a KCS train running through, in addition to a couple Utah Central Railway GP9s at their (Patriot...
  9. USSHelm

Hello from Houston, TX/Ruston, LA

The name is Helm on the internet. Why? I read a book when I was a kid on Pearl Harbor and the name USS HELM stuck in my head. Only ship underway in the harbor itself when the attack began. I'll be attending LA Tech in Ruston, LA next week (civil engineering) and I'd like to explore the rail...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back