Rattling Around Monroe, LA

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

USSHelm

Good study habits. Learn 'em, live 'em, love 'em.

Had a few hours open so I headed east for my first foray to Monroe just down the road from Ruston. Checked out the KCS, and UP yards along with the railroad bridge over the Ouachita River north of I-20.

KCS 2959 (Custom).jpg

EMD GP40-2 sitting in the KCS yard. The Monroe civic center parking lot is right next to the KCS yard, and has a good view of the action.

KCS 4188 (Custom).jpg

EMD SD70ACe in the KCS yard. I think here they were coupling additional cars to the train. They were making minute adjustments to the position of the train moving back and forth. Is that a correct assessment?

UP 7092 (Custom).jpg

String of UP engines sitting in the yard near US-165. Thomas Ave crosses the tracks on the south end of the yard and that location has a decent view, there may be a spot to watch from on the North end, but that's for next time.

KCS 4188 (Custom)-2.jpg

Lastly, the same leading SD70ACe as above passing by my table in Downtown Monroe. There's a mexican restaurant (River and Rail Cantina) right up on the bridge, and the food isn't bad. Little bit pricey, but the view is worth it. Caught the above train heading west, plus an east bound train over lunch.

It was a good day.

Looks like a great place to have lunch. I enjoy seeing the older locos in the KCS colors. We only see the new stuff up here in the north. Thanks for sharing. Tom

I enjoy your photos. I wish I had taken photos of nearby railroads when I was in college back in the late 60's-early 70's as many of the railroads and lines are now gone.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back