Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

World series a world away

World series a world away

Back when I was on the top fireman's roster (acting drivers), working with the class six drivers, it was fun working the west to and from Parkes on the Indian Pacific and high wheeler freighters. This particular afternoon, we are headed eastbound and have been put into Molong loop to cross a high wheeler westbound 5SP5 being dragged along by three venerable 44 class DL500B. How things have changed. Molong is no longer manned and the miniature electric train staff token safeworking has been replaced by stupid train orders. The lower quad semaphores are long gone and the world series 44 class have virtually vanished. Mind you, there was one class six (passenger roster) driver who was a bit of a problem, especially at Molong. Exchanging the hoops carrying the ETS metal rod tokens on the fly required some dexterity. But, the rules required a maximum train speed of 25 kmph to perform such tasks and even slower during darkness. Quite often a top fireman would relate his bruises and injuries attempting to take the peg on the fly at Molong with this particular driver who would hit Molong patform well in excess of the speed. Not this little black duck. When it was my turn to suffer this fate, I resorted to the ploy of dropping the incoming hoop at the ASM's (assistant station master) feet, and then retract my arm and miss the outgoing hoop. A suitable comment; "Oops, I missed it", would require this rev head to slam on the train brakes, as the brake dust swirled he could be heard cursing, and stop while the asm trudged up the track to hand up the hoop containing the outgoing staff.
We didn't call him Hurricane for nothing. Train orders, no fun in them what so ever. Ha!

Aussie Alco.
Excellent Pix and story!!! Any world class left in regular service? I understand that there's a few preserved...

Yep Pete, there would be probably no more than 10 in total left of the world series DL500B aussie alcos still rattling along the rails today. A handful have been preserved, plus some are in active service used by small private companies.
I have posted somewhere in here, a shot of two of such beasts that I took one day while working a coalie down through smog hollow Sydney. Two 44 class can be regularly seen in trip (transfer) train operations around the Sydney metrop.

Aussie Alco.

Media information

Category
International Freight Trains
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back