Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Put away for the Rocket

Put away for the Rocket

Back when I actually enjoyed going to work, we were still government and proud, and tradition still pervaded the NSW rail scene, I regularly carried the camera in my work bag.
While working west bound freighter 8329, powered by two shoe box aussie alco 2000 hp 80 class CE615 four strokers, we got put away into Blayney to allow the westbound Dubbo XPT service WT27 to overtake us. Looking at the 1989 shot, I am reminded just how things here have changed. The "Late 7 days" logo emblazoned on the XPT power car, the 80 class, plus all that tradition in Blayney yard.
Ho hum.

Aussie Alco.
Isn't the XPT like the British HST's! Are they still in full use?
The British HST's are still excellent trains, & have in fact been retored to work some long distance services that the latest "Virgin Voyagers" have proved to be unsuitable for here in the U.K.
GUY.(England).

Yep Guy, the Country Link (State Rail) XPT sets still rumble around NSW state today and extend as far as Melbourne and also Brisbane.
Comeng (Commonwealth Engineering; defunct) built the XPT sets from the early 1980's adopting a pseudo HST design. The XPT power cars have a 12 cylinder 1984hp Paxman Valenta donk.
The XPT sets are capable of a top speed of 160 kmph, but due to our wonky track, they rarely reach this nose bleed speed.
The XPT sets have been refurbished recently, so the belching grey smoke prevalent before upgrade is now not supposed to occur.

Aussie Alco.

Media information

Category
International Freight Trains
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back