Rail Grinder in Marysville, WA

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

RacerTodd

I was passing through Marysville, WA, a small city about 35 miles north of Seattle. As I came up on the BNSF main, I saw a Loram Rail Grinder working the tracks. They're a rare beast to see, in fact this was my first time seeing one in person. I quickly made my delivery and doubled back to see if I could get some video.

I was on a tight schedule but managed to grab some quick video. Here are some screenshots. Video will get posted in my regular "Railfanning Urban Seattle" thread later. It was raining, so these were taken from inside the car so as not to soak my camera.

One interesting thing is that I always pictured a rail grinder just slowly driving down the track doing it's work on the rails. Instead, they worked a large road crossing by driving back and forth several times over the same section of track. I sprinted ahead of them to find a spot to park. When I caught them, they were again working a section of track at a road crossing, driving back and forth a half a dozen times over the same section of track.

preview1.jpg preview2.jpg preview3.jpg

Todd

This is a specialty grinder as its one car long, typically used for road crossings and switches. The large slow moving one pass grinders are typically many cars long so they can get the several passes via the multiple cars.

Ah, that makes sense as they seemed to be concentrating on crossings in the short time I observed them.

Do crossings and switches take more abuse and need grinding more often? I guess I wonder why they wouldn't just use the full-size grinder and hit the whole stretch of track at once.

Todd

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back