Recent content by punchy71

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. P

Industries along the tracks: Breweries

Greetings, Where are trackside breweries traditionally located? In cities, out in the country (the 'boonies' or 'sticks') or somewhere inbetween? Also; are they located mostly in the eastern third of the U.S., central third of the U.S. or western third of the U.S.? Thank you
  2. P

Comparing and constrasting MoPac, CB&Q and Rock Island railroads histories...

Greetings, I was recently reviewing the history of three different classic railroads in the midwest. Missouri Pacific, Chicago Burlington and Quincy and Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific. Here's my quick assesment so far: 1)Missouri Pacific was more or less cobbled together by many mergers...
  3. P

Oats are too light to be moved by rail and have to be transported how?

Greetings, I was reading a brief passage in a book about how grains are handled at a trackside grain industrial elevators, that said the following, and I'll quote it (so it's the book saying it and not me): "Oats also traveled by rail (around the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries), but...
  4. P

Where do covered hopper cars filled with grain go to anyway and what happens to them?

...you says that most of the grain gets taken to ports for export, but in the minority of cases then, it stays in the country of origin, in this case the U.S. and gets used how and for what? Let's take wheat grain for example...
  5. P

Where do covered hopper cars filled with grain go to anyway and what happens to them?

While we're on the subject, is there any difference between a grain "farmer" and a grain"grower"?
  6. P

Why do railroads pull cars not from their own company?

Why is it absolutely essential to have "free interchange" with Canada and Mexico?
  7. P

This sounds, at first blush, like a railroad is nothing more than a locomotive engineer, a locomotive, a brakeman, a conductor and, in olden days, a caboose. And all the cars are just quasi-public property...
  8. P

Greetings, I am new to the world of railroading. I read recently that any given railroad's trains will usually or most likely be pulling a majority of their own cars, labeled and scripted with their own name. Example: a BNSF train of mixed freight with a train made up of mixed car types the...
  9. P

Greetings, I was wondering if somebody could tell what happens to all these long strings of covered hopper cars filled with grain such as wheat? Where are they going to anyway? What happens when they get there? Once empty hoppers get filled with grain at a grain elevator, I haven't a clue...
  10. P

What are some regional and shortline railroads located in the central great plains?

Greetings, Anybody know about any regional or shortline railroads located in the four-state area of Iowa, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska? I'm interested in ones not only from the present but also the past too. I'm somewhat interested in regional and shorline railroads from the other...
  11. P

Any idea's what these old railroad map abbreviations mean?

Greetings, I was looking at an old "Frisco" system map I found at my local library due to it being near the region I live. The map I found in a book was date 1912. I was looking at some of the other nearby railroads on the map and couldn't make out some of the abbreviation letters marked on...
  12. P

Newbie quesion: what is a "grainger line"?

Greetings, Can someon please tell me what a "grainger line" is? Yes, I'm a noob... :rolleyes: Thank you
  13. P

What is the purpose of raising the hoods on Alco RS models and high-hoods in general?

Greetings, Can somebody please explain to me the purpose of high-nose diesel locomotives in comparison to low-nose models? I am especially interested in what its purpose would be in modifying a low-nose to make a high-nose 'hammerhead' (like a hammerhead shark I presume), in this photo of an...
  14. P

Doesn't the cetral part of the U.S. receive plant-grown produce from the eastern U.S?

Greetings, Doesn't the central part of the U.S. receive plant-grown produce from the eastern one third of the U.S. at all, either in the past or in the present? I just read in a book that the central part of the U.S. (the "midwest"), received reefers "loaded with Pacific Fruit Express produce...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back