Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

The reluctant railfan

The reluctant railfan

On saturday I packed the camera not with the aim of shootng at stinking trains, but along with my camping and fishing gear.
My route to the coast nudged briefly the Ulan line.
And, what do I find, a weatbound coalie sitting waiting at Kerrabee, obviously about to cross an eastbound.
So, what the heck I stopped and grabbed the camera.
I found a spot and waited.
The eastbound eventually arrived, stopping in clear.
In the distance I could see the crew of the westbound dismount to observe the loop home signal. He scratched his head. hmmm.
With progress at a standstill, it became obvious that yet again our magnificent third world system had failed.
Three toots rang out from the eastbound and the "Kannucks" (90 class) shoved the loaded coalie backwards. The driver apparently believing that he may have overrun the track circuit.
This manoeuvre proved fruitless, and eventually the offsider of the westbound began hoofing along the track, metal rod token (miniature electric staff) grasped in his hand.
I yelled; "it a failure mate ?". He replied; "yeh, the points are stuffed".
So, not wanting to waste any more valuable fishing time, knowing that the crew would need to firstly get control to issue a SPA (Special Proceed Authority) and then manually wind and clip the points, I drove closer to the westbound and took the only shot on offer before continuing on my way.
After all, just the day before I had had to scribble a SPA when the system had failed at Newbridge when I was trying to work the stinking gold train home from Blayney.
Two 90 class GT46CW on the front of the 63 hopper empty Ulan coalie stuck at the Kerrabee down home signal (for who knows how long).
Aussie Alco.

Media information

Category
International Freight Trains
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back