Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Ya can't beat tradition

Ya can't beat tradition

The more they changes things here, the more I long for the past. Fortunately the Rusty Train Museum continues to portray NSW tradition. Preserved 4490 DL500B and 4520 DL541 haul special WL31 west through Locksley back in 1996. I am sick of corporate blue, Bring Back tuscan and indian red.

Aussie Alco.
A
I love that scheme! It's a lot like the early ATSF yellow and blue freight scheme, from the 1940s.

Alex, you are right, it does have an early ATSF look to it. Aussie, great shot.

Greg Elems

Actually, if I recall the early NSW scheme was styled exactly on the ATSF scheme of the early 50s. The only difference of course was the actual colours. Is that right Aussie?

Another local variation of a famous US scheme was the Victorian Railways. Check out this link:
http://www.victorianrailways.net/photogallery/gallery%20pages/pic06.html
to see which US railway I mean!

And with the recent privatisation of most of the state-based railways, and the entry of US operators either directly or indirectly, US fans in Australia will get a lot of reminders of home. Gennesee and Wyoming based colours can be seen in the south and west, while WC inspired colours can be seen in Tasmania and until recently roaming Victoria and NSW.

Living in Queensland we've resisted the trend though, so the liveries I see everyday are still very much the local product.

Alan, there were the green and the blue schemes. The NSWR begged, borrowed and adapted, naturally being influenced by British and USA prototypes.
However, I too being a Queenslander, grew up exposed to narrow gauge puffer billies and the enduring QR blue and white. When I emigrated south of the border, the NSWR indian red and tuscan was the dominant scheme. This endured into my railway career. Sadly, that "safe feeling" portrayed by "tradition" has now evaporated.

Go the Broncos.
Aussie Alco.

Media information

Category
International Passenger Trains
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back