Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

British Columbia Electric 961
I was going to put this in the "Show me your Electric Roster" thread but I then I realized that it didn't qualify as a roster! Here is BCER's freight motor 961 switching the Carrall Street yard under the old Georgia Street Viaduct In Vancouver B.C. on April 28, 1960. This yard remained a trolley sanctuary into BC Hydro days, ending up by being worked by the GE 70 tonners. This photo, although almost 44 years old, isn't as old as the loco was when I photographed! It was built by GE-Alco in Schenactady N.Y. in 1912!
H
Great stuff. The Seashore Trolley Museum in Maine has one that looks very much like that fellow if I remember correctly.

The Fraser Valley Heritage Railway Society is to aquire former BC Electric center cab switcher #961 from the Edmonton Radial Railway. 961 is expected to arive on the property in April or May of this year. 961 is one of three ALCO/GE center cab electric switchers acuired by the BCE from Oregon Electric. They were numbered 960, 691, and 962. Following the end of electric operations, the 962 was scrapped, while 960 eventually found it's way the the West Coast Railway Heritage Assn. and is currently being restored at their museum in Squamish. 961 was aquired by Edmonton Transit in 1980 and was renumbered 2001, it's job now done, it is being returned to the lowermainland, courtesy of the Edmonton Radial Railway. For more information visit: www.fvhrs.org/ So far there are no firm plans for operation of the unit, but it will be returned to it's BCE numberes and will be painted to match the FVHRS operating BCER intererban #1225.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1677311@N20/discuss/72157640411370444/?ytcheck=1&new_session=1

Media information

Category
Vintage Train Photos - Electrics, Streetcars and Trolleys
Added by
Ross Pugsley
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back