Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CNW Keeler Ave., Chicago, IL, Sept. 14, 1983, photo by Chuck Zeiler

CNW Keeler Ave., Chicago, IL, Sept. 14, 1983, photo by Chuck Zeiler

Chicago and North Western (C&NW), Keeler Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, September 14, 1983, photo by Chuck Zeiler

What I know so far:

This was Keeler Avenue in Chicago, but it also went by the name 40th Street Shops, and I'm trying to get to the bottom of that.

Left to right:

C&NW #503 was built as UP E2B 984C (originally, #LA3, c/n 743, EMC order number E158B, built October 1937), rebuilt by EMD in March 1953 to E8B 925B, and after Amtrak took over rail passenger service, B-units were not in demand, and the C&NW picked up a few, this one entered C&NW service June 5, 1973. The C&NW added a homemade cab (Crandall Cab), and put the E-8Bm in commuter service. See this link for more info:

http://www.utahrails.net/cnw/cnw03.php#501-e8

C&NW #400 is an Executive F, and yes that is a different yellow paint than the other units have. It would appear that this was the 2nd #400, delivered October 1949 to the C&NW as F-7 #4084C (c/n 8573), retired January 8, 1985. Here's a link to more info on #400:

http://www.utahrails.net/cnw/cnw02.php#400-2-f7a

The next two (#'s 406 and 413) are work-a-day commuter F-7's.

The C&NW #406 pictured was actually the 3rd #406. The first was Minneapolis & St. Louis (M&StL) F-7A #150A, and the second was Litchfield & Madison (L&M) RS-3 #301, later #905. This one was built as C&NW F-7A #4086A in December 1949 (c/n 8576 on EMD order E1188A), retired December 31, 1977, sold to the Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) and leased back to the C&NW the very next day, January 1, 1978, retired from the RTA May 2, 1983. So, if this photo was shot on the date I say, and the records at the link below are correct, there might be more research in order.

http://utahrails.net/cnw/cnw03.php#406-3-f7a

C&NW #413 is the 2nd #413, the first being M&StL F-7 #151C, retired in 1963. The one pictured above was delivered to the C&NW as #4083A (c/n 8750 on EMD order E1188A) in December 1949, renumbered December 1971. It was retired from the C&NW December 31, 1977, sold the the RTA, and leased back to the C&NW the next day. Utahrails.net lists it as retired from the RTA on May 2, 1983, but feel pretty good about the date of the photo, so perhaps some sort of arrangement took place to keep it on the road a bit longer. See the link for #406.

At the time of this photo, the C&NW was "Employee Owned", and the C&NW's Bar and Ball logo at the top of the building appears to have been adjusted accordingly.
Chuck:
A friend from the Chicago area tells me:
"40th street was name for yard that was behind the shop.
Building was called M-119A or 40th street diesel ramp.
at least back then."
Tim
(from the Baldwin webpage)

Hi Tim, thanks for the info. I just got my copy of the Winter 2007 issue of First and Fastest, the Shore Line Interurban Historical Society publication which generally publishes topics about the Chicago area electric interurban railroads. They have branched out to include the steam/diesel commuter trains, and in this issue is a story about an explosion which blocked the C&NW's tracks in this area. The story refers to the building as M-19A (note one less numeral 1), and I quote,

"The fire was across from and just east of C&NW's M-19A diesel shop. M-19A was home for our commuter locomotive fleet, the company's business car train locomotives, and some Chicago Division freight locomotives."

Media information

Category
Vintage Freight Train Photos - Diesel Era
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back