Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CB&Q GP-30 977, Naperville, IL, Nov. 29, 1963, photo by Chuck Zeiler

CB&Q GP-30 977, Naperville, IL, Nov. 29, 1963, photo by Chuck Zeiler

Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad GP-30 977, Naperville, IL, Nov. 29, 1963, photo by Chuck Zeiler. This was the last GP-30 delivered to the CB&Q, built September 1963 (c/n 28299). It became Burlington Northern 2254. By the date of this photo, it was 2 months old.

Sorry for the lousy photo. I shot this when I was 15, with my mom's cast off Pentax Rangefinder camera, and I could only afford black and white film. And the date of November 29, 1963 is conjecture, I dated the entire roll of film as November 30, but on the same roll of film is a shot of EMD's official demo train consisting of GP-35 #5652, a DD-35, EMD's former B-unit Test Car, another DD-35, and another GP-35, passing this very point, but running in the other direction. I'm pretty sure this DD-35 was part of that demonstrator train.

I've put out a couple of inquires to try to figure this photo out. It would appear (speculation) that the Q tested a DD-35, but most likely concluded it would not suit their needs. In theory, a single locomotive of 5000 hp was cheaper to maintain than two 2500 hp locomotives. In practice, railroads tended to look at it as taking two GP-35's out of service when only one of them was broken. Anyway, the CB&Q never rostered a DD-35.
wow, very cool to see the DD outside of UP and SP, and the GP30's where (still are)just a cool loco!

Media information

Category
Vintage Freight Train Photos - Diesel Era
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back