Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

A blast from the past at Redding
Less than six months after I had shot the SP 3207 in the SPSF "Kodachrome" merger scheme leading Amtrak 5, it was repainted to scarlet and grey for a Directors' Special to Oregon. This picture was taken August 23, 1987 at Redding, California. There were at least five people in the cab of the locomotive, and all were wearing neckties. The train was so hot that opposing freights were put in sidings two hours in advance.

My friend Mike Devlin was along on this trip, and he was very disappointed to see that the two SDP45s had been repainted grey. As Mike put it, "That train looks just like the 'San Joaquin Daylight,' and I already have lots of shots of that." I was thrilled to get shots of a 'pure' SP passenger train.
H
Awesome shot. The trestle in itself is spectacular, but throw in a beautiful train such as that and it makes a "10" into a "100"!!!

Media information

Category
Special Trains, Charters and PV's
Added by
CPKirkie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back