Tehachapi Loop

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

exploreworld

An old shot with my old Bronica Medium Format Camera. Hope you guys enjoy this photo!

Attachments

• tehach.jpg
    tehach.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 246
Great shot. You captured the essence of the place for sure.

It was my favorite train-watching spot back 1995-2001. I used to spend the weekends camped by the tracks. Met railfans and looky-loos from all over the world.

This photo was taken Memorial Day 2001. The group on the rise on the left-side of the photo came every Memorial Day; I think it was a group of Veterans. They hired their own portable toilets and had an excellent time.
Tehachapi Loop Memorial Day 2001-826.jpg

I was working over Tehachapi in 1998 ( on a loan from the Northwest Division), I was rather surprised to see all the campers (April 98) along the loop area, the old head I was working, Said, "that's nothing, wait till the fourth of July." That was not an understatement, I took a few photos as we went uphill more than once, too busy to do that downhill. LOL!

First of all, thanks to exploreworld for reminding me about some good times.

Can't speak for now, but back then it was an amazing place. One Saturday afternoon a big motorhome pulled up on that rise with grandfather, mom & dad, and a couple of kids.

I walked over. Mom was cooking supper, the kids were being kids, and the grandfather was sitting in a chair about 20 feet from the tracks with his cane across his lap; his first words were, "We're railroadin'!"

Turns out he had been a chair-car attendant for SP back in the day and worked on a train that went through Tehachapi. His family brought him there every once-in-a-while to reminisce.

I always dreaded that something would happen there to cause UP to close it off like Cajon Pass was closed off after someone rumored that a vandal uncoupled the train back in the middle while it was awaiting a clear signal. As far as I know that wasn't true, and it's still off limits.
Approaching Tunnel 9 .JPG

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back