Regional Rail Express - 65: Transilvania VIII (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Regional Rail Express - 64: Transylvania Puszta Special (50 p. + 1 v.)

August 5 2018

From the summer regional rail express tour through Romania, I arrived at Püspökladány by IC 366 "Hargita" Brașov - Budapest at 6:48 p.m. - time to focus on this "espicopal" railway junction in a special ("Püspök" = bishop).

Püspökladány is located on the Szolnok - Debrecen line (both links in German, please use autotranslate):

Here, the railroad towards Oradea branches off (including a picture of the station before modernization):

heck6501.jpg

A V63 "Gigant" arrived from Budapest hauling S 6296, which I had taken two years earlier to Nyíregyháza.
heck6502.jpg

418.174 switched alongside welcome scenes - only the old-school engineer somehow didn't like railroad photography... but otherwise, no one cared.
heck6503.jpg

After a long day in over 30-degree heat, often humid - it had started around six o'clock in the morning at Poieni:

Regional Rail Express - 59: Transilvania II (50 p.)

I decided not to wait around another hour for the "Corona" overnight express. The weather was supposed to be clearer anyway early the following morning.
heck6504.jpg

Instead, I checked into the "Korona" hotel - last stop of the tour - and enjoyed a cool drink alongside a grill platter.
heck6505.jpg

August 6 2018

I walked past the station.
heck6506.jpg

To the eastern level crossing: 6240 Szolnok - Nyíregyháza leaving at 5:42 in the morning.
heck6507.jpg

heck6508.jpg

416.009 built by Russian Metrowagonmash at 5:45 a.m. as Sz 6420 to Biharkeresztes.
heck6509.jpg

heck6510.jpg

At 5:57, EC 140 "Hortobágy" Záhony - Vienna consisting of a Slovak ZSSK set plus Ukrainian sleeping car from Kyiv arrived.
heck6511.jpg

S 6199 Nyíregyháza - Budapest-Nyugati at 6:03.
heck6512.jpg

Overnight IC 406 "Corona" Brașov - Budapest approached five minutes late in the steamy morning haze from Romania. The electrification only reached past this curve at that time.
heck6513.jpg

heck6514.jpg

Sz 369 Püspökladány - Oradea - Salonta left right after the arrival of "Corona" at half past six.
heck6515.jpg

heck6516.jpg

S 6202 Budapest-Nyugati - Záhony at 8:52 a.m.
heck6517.jpg

I walked along the line to the end of the electrification and waited for the punctual departure of well-known IC 367 "Hargita" Budapest - Brașov at 9:29.

Once more the video scenes from Püspökladány:

heck6518.jpg

July 8 2023

IC 604 "Nyírség" Budapest-Nyugati - Nyíregyháza had taken me on a weekend trip to Berettyóújfalu last summer - the "Giants" still rule.
heck6520.jpg

Not long ago indispensable in passenger traffic, GySEV V43s are now increasingly on freight duty away from home.
heck6521.jpg

Constantin Grup Kutter 60-0434 met mgw Service Vectron 193 846.
heck6522.jpg

And the circular IC 562 "Tokaj" Budapest-Keleti - Miskolc-Tiszai - Nyíregyháza - Budapest-Nyugati.
heck6523.jpg

heck6524.jpg

National regional services on the soon-to-be-electrified line to Biharkeresztes were only operated by Bzmot railcars that weekend.
heck6525.jpg

Traveling by "Lunchbox" through the Puszta near Báránd.
heck6519.jpg

At the station, freight Foxes were bustling in the background.
heck6526.jpg

With road support.
heck6527.jpg

April 29 2023

During the trip to Șuncuiuș last spring, I captured a more modern version. In the background, FOXrail Romanian Cutters and PSŽ EffiLiner 1600 "Bizon" 753.608 (heavily modernized Czech diesel).
heck6528.jpg

April 22 2003

A great page about the station/local history (in Hungarian, please use autotranslate) worth scrolling through completely. Until World War I, there had been a magnificent wooden platform roof construction here:

Exactly twenty years earlier, I had managed to capture almost the same perspective from the window of an Ukrainian sleeping car from L'viv.
Unfortunately, the historic locomotive shed has been demolished in 2014 as part of a complete yard renewal.
heck6529.jpg

I had already shown more pictures from the trip here (in German):

Hungarian East '03-'16 - 7: Through the Puszta to Chop (50 p.)

heck6530.jpg

July 8 2023

Streamlined class 242 steam tank engines had been at home here and hauled the "Balt-Orient-Express" as double header (see linked historical page for pictures).
Now, various other shapes were meeting here.
heck6531.jpg

April 29 2023

Something Styrian stayed hidden.
heck6532.jpg

Engine change for IC 367 "Hargita" Budapest - Brașov; we were traveling in the first class compartment.
heck6533.jpg

heck6534.jpg

heck6535.jpg

A large part of passenger traffic is now dominated by Stadler FLIRT EMUs.
heck6536.jpg

heck6537.jpg

August 6 2018

heck6538.jpg

Mixed rolling stock with Metrowagonmash railcar and ČKD locomotive during shunting.
heck6539.jpg

Arrival of IC 362 "Ady Endre" from Cluj. It was about to take me to Budapest where a sleeper compartment on the "Istria" express was waiting, directly to the sea at Opatija (see previous reports in the series or video).
heck6540.jpg

heck6541.jpg

heck6542.jpg

July 9 2023

Last summer, I wanted to take our star train EC 146 "Transilvania" Cluj - Vienna... here it still operated relatively punctually.
heck6543.jpg

heck6544.jpg

heck6545.jpg

heck6546.jpg

431 344 in front of the CFR car in old livery.
heck6547.jpg

heck6548.jpg

The "shortened" M41.
heck6549.jpg

Next time, we'll follow "Transilvania" (almost?) (completely?) to Vienna - and then move on to other areas... :)
heck6550.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back