NS Peavine news?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Michaelson

I've been out of the loop for quite a while. I was wondering if there has been any furture plans or talks about restoring operation for the long time rail-banked Peavine branch between Portsmouth, Ohio and Cincinnati?

Regards! Michaelson

Understood, but I had heard a rumor a year ago there may have been new industry in the Cincinnati area that would have made that branch profitable again. The only hang up was before they could put it back in operation they'd have to replace the bridge across the Scoto River at Portsmouth first.

I was up home last month (I live in Tennessee now) and it was surreal to see the Peavine sitting unused. The roadbed looked just as manicured as always, pure N&W Class 1 condition, but the rail heads were rusted, and the old target signals peeling paint. The tree canopy was growing together across the tracks where you could tell a train hadn't passed through in years.:(

Sad.

Thanks!

Regards! Michaelson

Understood, but I had heard a rumor a year ago there may have been new industry in the Cincinnati area that would have made that branch profitable again. The only hang up was before they could put it back in operation they'd have to replace the bridge across the Scoto River at Portsmouth first.

I was up home last month (I live in Tennessee now) and it was surreal to see the Peavine sitting unused. The roadbed looked just as manicured as always, pure N&W Class 1 condition, but the rail heads were rusted, and the old target signals peeling paint. The tree canopy was growing together across the tracks where you could tell a train hadn't passed through in years.:(

Sad.

Thanks!

Regards! Michaelson

Heard a rumor recently that NS was considering selling the Peavine to a short line operation. But I've heard rumblings of that before. I also hear about every year how they're considering opening that line back up. Doubt anything happens anytime soon. That line could be extremely useful at times. If coal business ever picks back up the line from Portsmouth to Columbus will be so busy they'll almost have to use the peavine. Worst thing about it now is that all the signals have been destroyed. People out in the rural areas have gutted them along with the power lines for scrap. Other them that the lines still in good shape. And there's nothing wrong with that bridge in Vera. They used it as an excuse to shut the line down. Talked to a guy in bridge and building and he said that bridge only needs some minor repairs. We will see I suppose. It'll probably sit and rot for another ten years and then they'll abandon it.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back