Nostalgic May 4: Deltic, Ribblehead, Keighley & Worth Valley (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:

Video for this part:

May 31 2010

The fourth and last day of my packed short trip was a bank holiday. I had planned my accommodations exactly to reach each destination in the most efficient way.
A Virgin Voyager towards Glasgow took me to Lancaster, arrival 6:54 a.m.
mainost0401.jpg

A Pacer was waiting for departure to Leeds at 7:10 a.m.
mainost0402.jpg

I was probably the only passenger as we passed the well-known junction.
mainost0403.jpg

I got off at the next stop - Long Preston - at eight o'clock. As nothing was departing towards Carlisle until ten, I had preordered a cab.
mainost0404.jpg

It was the first time I had travelled on the rollercoaster roads of this area.
mainost0405.jpg

We made it to the trailhead at the famous Ribblehead viaduct in half an hour:

mainost0412.jpg

Something appeared in the distance near the station at 9:42 a.m.
mainost0406.jpg

It was BR class 55 Deltic D9000/55022 "Royal Scots Grey" (English Electric Co Ltd #E2905/D557 / built in 1961) on the way to Edinburgh:

mainost0407.jpg

You can enjoy the Napier Deltic prime mover sound following the video link at the top of the post. The engine at the rear has been removed digitally.
mainost0408.jpg

mainost0409.jpg

mainost0410.jpg

57316 (ex 47290) was helping.
mainost0411.jpg

The first regular passenger train of the day to Carlisle arrived at 10:07 a.m.
mainost0413.jpg

A class 153 reinforced the class 158.
mainost0414.jpg

mainost0415.jpg

My service to Leeds approached at 10:22.
mainost0416.jpg

It reached Keighley fifty minutes later and met a train into the opposite direction.
mainost0417.jpg

I changed to the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway platforms next to the mainline station, the first service arrived only ten minutes later:

mainost0418.jpg

The third Stanier 8F relative on the third day: "Austerity" BR 90733 (Vulcan Foundry Ltd #5200 / built in 1945):

mainost0419.jpg

mainost0420.jpg

mainost0421.jpg

Once more, no need for extras - this scenic heritage line also features unique original surroundings.
mainost0422.jpg

Trains met at Damens Loop.
mainost0423.jpg

mainost0424.jpg

We have arrived at Haworth, home of the Brontë siblings:

The scenery was unbelievable, I digitally removed a few parking cars. The steamer continued to Oxenhope.
mainost0425.jpg

It's almost as if all the mills were still running.
mainost0426.jpg

I walked towards Oakworth, 90733 returned.
mainost0427.jpg

The second rake of the day was hauled by LMS Fowler class 3F "Jinty", BR 47279 (Vulcan Foundry Ltd #3736 / built in 1925):

mainost0428.jpg

The train rolled back downhill half an hour later.
mainost0429.jpg

Mytholmes Tunnel is one of two featured by the heritage line.
mainost0430.jpg

I climbed this Worth Valley viewpoint above Oakworth, power lines have been removed.
mainost0431.jpg

There were hardly any gaps in the vegetation along the line, but the views made up for it.
mainost0432.jpg

mainost0433.jpg

mainost0434.jpg

The northern portal of the tunnel.
mainost0435.jpg

A spotlight does not get more accurate.
mainost0436.jpg

mainost0437.jpg

I hiked to the station.
mainost0440.jpg

Time has been compressed virtually, the train usually waits further back until the gates are closed.
mainost0438.jpg

mainost0439.jpg

Back at Damens Loop.
mainost0441.jpg

mainost0442.jpg

Arrival at Keighley.
mainost0443.jpg

The steam action up the grade and old industrial backdrop are a joy. The video above features travel on the train and lineside scenes.
mainost0444.jpg

mainost0445.jpg

mainost0446.jpg

mainost0447.jpg

I waited for the 5 p.m. departure.
mainost0448.jpg

mainost0449.jpg

mainost0450.jpg

I traveled via Leeds and London Kings Cross to Gatwick from where I flew home in the morning.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back