New power on the way for Tacoma Rail

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

GoalieFergy53

Last Train to Clarksville
For the last few months a pair of EMD/Cat Demonstrator SD70ACe's (#2012 and another) have been parked at Progress Rail in Tacoma. Recently they moved, one unit was at the Tacoma Rail open house last weekend. Tonight coming home from work I saw the other unit. It has was parked outside in the Progress yard in a fresh out of the booth Tacoma Rail paint job. It was dark at the time I went by so no picture, I'll see if it's there tomorrow and see if I snap a picture.

Driving home Friday night Unit #1212, now painted as Tacoma Rail #7002, was parked next to the entry gate of Progress Rail. Should be out roaming around Tacoma very soon! Question is, what purpose will these beasts be used for?

Is the old Milwaukee Road line still in use? That is one very steep grade for which the beasts might be suitable if the curves are not too tight for three axle trucks.

Doesn't the P-4 designation mean the middle axle has no traction motor?

EMD's SD70ACe-P4 are in a B1-1B configuration, so axles 3 and 4 (those on either side of the fuel tank) having no traction motors. GE's ES44C4 are in a A1A-A1A configuration with axles 2 and 5 (the middle axle of each truck) having no traction motors.

SD70ACEs have steerable trucks so they are almost as good as a four axle locomotive on curves, way better than an old SD40-2!!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back