Holiday in Bulgaria 2015 - 20: GM to Ludmilla Diesel (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

Since I am lagging behind with the translation I will post the next reports with shortened texts in English - otherwise I would never manage to keep up :)

To the previous part of the series:
Holiday in Romania 2015 - 19: By Rail to the Beach (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...-Romania-2015-19-By-Rail-to-the-Beach-(50-p-)

To the video:
https://youtu.be/4dl-qDnduFM

The timetable for this part:
Code:
Tue, Aug 4 2015

Costinesti Tabara hc. dep 15:07 R 8801

Mangalia arr 15:40

-------------------------------------------------
Wed, Aug 5 2015

Kardam dep 9:10 PV 28103

Varna arr 12:12

August 4 2015

After the last sleeper to Mangalia had passed by at Costinesti I joined my companion who had found an excellent and elegant place to eat - the Brasov student home - secret recommendation!
Soon we had to return to Costinesti Tabara hc. halt for our local 8801.
rum152001.jpg

It consisted of the double decker rake too long for the platform divided by a level crossing. The interior of the coaches somehow reminded me of Trenitalia.
rum152002.jpg

Back at Mangalia we walked around town and saw for example the Esmahan Sultan Mosque - erected in 1575 as oldest on current Romanian territory.
rum152003.jpg

Not only mosques remind you of the Ottoman Empire, sweets as well.
rum152004.jpg

August 5 2015

We had negotiated with a taxi driver to take us to the closest Romanian border railway station to Bulgaria, Negru Voda, on the line from Medgidia which does not serve passenger traffic anymore.
rum152005.jpg

As there was no sign of alternative transport we convinced our driver to take us straight to Bulgarian BDZ border station Kardam, overall 28 miles from Mangalia. He just had to screw off the taxi sign from the vehicle at the border post, otherwise it was no problem taking the Romanian taxi to Bulgaria.
Over bumpy village streets we approached the quiet station.
rum152006.jpg

Tickets were issued directly on the train - which also was supposed to run. Soon it got even better: BDZ-Ludmilla 07 111 hauling "minimal sleeper express" BV 2637 from Povelyanovo junction arrived two minutes early. The modern sleeping car behind the loco had been conveyed as through coach by BV 3637 from Sofia.
rum152007.jpg

rum152008.jpg

No passengers exited the sleeper which probably served the capital of Bulgarian Southern Dobruja – Dobrich - as main destination. The coach simply was hauled to Kardam and locked to Varna and back during the day for operational reasons.
rum152009.jpg

rum152010.jpg

Our PV 28103 to Varna ready to depart.
Maybe you noticed the skewed walls of the 2nd class coach: the reason being that these had been built using GDR standard parts, like wagon roofs, but in a wider yet shorter version.
rum152011.jpg

The conductor took a while until he had issued our ticket for 13.80 levs ("lions" as currency, just like in Romania) or 7 euro covering 81 miles for two persons. The interior of the coach was nice and modernized.
rum152012.jpg

rum152013.jpg

The stations on the way seemed partly in bad condition. "Gara" - "station" in Bulgarian and Romanian - had been painted over due to conflicts in the region between some nationalists dating from a Romanian occupancy between the wars.
rum152014.jpg

We rounded Dobrich on the way to the massive main station. A Desiro DMU was waiting to take over the second passenger service on this line, old Elektrichkas had been stabled for good.
rum152015.jpg

rum152016.jpg

rum152017.jpg

From a steppe-like landscape near Kardam we now crossed sunflower fields towards Povelyanovo, a main industrial site in Bulgaria.
rum152018.jpg

Eastern Bloc diesel locos meeting at the industrial junction with the main line.
rum152019.jpg

BV 2612 Varna - Sofia on the opposite track, see video from minute 20:25 for impressions of the ride.
rum152020.jpg

Varna-West port on Lake Beloslav fed by Provadiyska River and flowing into Lake Varna which in turn empties into the Black Sea.
rum152021.jpg

We arrived punctually in the third largest city of Bulgaria: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varna
rum152022.jpg

rum152023.jpg

We reached our Best Western Prima Hotel through the old city centre. We were received by friendly staff and were shown to our nice and large room.
rum152024.jpg

rum152025.jpg

Our first point of visit was the Archaeological Museum featuring magnificent finds from prehistoric times of the Varna culture to antiquity when the city was called Odessos by the Greeks and the first Bulgarian kingdoms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varna_culture
rum152026.jpg

I loved the way inner city streets are treated here, Bulgarians know that only old trees can provide proper cool shade in summer, so you find them almost everywhere.
rum152027.jpg

Next I did a short photo stint at the station built between 1908 and 1925 with art nouveau and neo-baroque influences.
rum152028.jpg

rum152029.jpg

rum152030.jpg

The Ludmilla was coupled to PV 28104 Varna - Kardam.
rum152031.jpg

rum152032.jpg

rum152033.jpg

07 111 (Lugansk #0067 / built 1972).
rum152034.jpg

rum152035.jpg

A shunting worker was chatting with me about cameras until the train departed at 3:40 p.m.
rum152036.jpg

To the right you can already see a part of the port.
rum152037.jpg

rum152038.jpg

On electric lines I only encountered loco-hauled passenger traffic around Varna.
rum152039.jpg

rum152040.jpg

On the way to the sea I passed a part of the massive Roman era thermal baths - not even the main excavations.
rum152041.jpg

As one of the greenest cities I know Varna features a seaside park between centre and beach.
rum152042.jpg

Which was not too shabby for a city beach, of course the water next to the port is not the cleanest.
rum152043.jpg

We ate at a traditional Bulgarian restaurant also called mehana from Ottoman times. The almost museum-like Chuchurite is located near the station and can be recommended.
rum152044.jpg

rum152045.jpg

MBV 1480 "Albena" (a holiday destination 20 miles from Varna) to Budapest departing during the summer season on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 8 p.m.
Messi had been spotted at a Bulgarian hotel. ;-)
rum152046.jpg

The train just consists of two coaches and is joined after a mere 30 minutes ride to Sindel with longer MBV 1470 "Nesebar" from Burgas.
rum152047.jpg

44 202 (Skoda #7869 / 1983).
rum152048.jpg

rum152049.jpg

As conclusion: Romania-built FAUR 55 206 shunting sleeper coaches for the express trains to Sofia.
rum152050.jpg

Next time we will go on excursions to the countryside! :)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back