Historical Information on Engine 74 Train Wreck on Bridge

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

cvilleelk

Hello all. I am new to this forum and hopeful someone might be able to help with some historical information. I am a history buff and enjoy trying to determine the history behind things I own or acquire. I recently obtained a man's ring from a local estate. It is nothing fancy and appears to be made of a non precious metal. What intrigued me about this ring is what is engraved on it in extremely small script. The engraving is hard to read in some places but seems to read " In Memory of D. Ferdem (Terdem?) & T (J?) Tarent (Farent?) Engine #74 wrecked on Bridge 11/1". The names are the hardest to decipher and may be variations of what I have written here. I can post an image if that would help, but again the engraving is so small it would be diifficult to obtain a good image. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I would start at the Library of Congress newspaper collection.

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/#tab=tab_advanced_search

Search for all variations of the names that seems reasonable. And search for the names and combinations of the words bridge, wreck, engine, locomotive near each other. Otherwise you will get thousands of hits on the names alone.

Lots of local news was widely shared. You may find an article across the country from the event, so don't do only a local search.

Bruce

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back