Freight trains and heavy haul in Czech Republic

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Fenway

For anyone with a desire to make a quick virtual railway trip to Europe, here's a short film on rail freight in and around Prague, showing a large variety of motive power,
including diesel and electric, with double and tripple-header formations in the film.

One side of my family is from Bohemia, which is now part of the Czech Republic. Looking at the station signs, I remember my grandmother would refer to Prague as Praha.
Those high-hooded diesels remind me of US models in the 40's and 50's from manufacturers such as ALCo and Fairbanks-Morse. The orange electrics remind me of those on the Milwaukee Road.

Last edited:
Watching a few of those sequences, I wondered if people really have nothing more intelligent to do than paint nonsense on railcars.

Vandalism in the form of graffiti tagging remains a problem around many European countries, although most places have a good game plan in place on how to deal with it and remove it quite promptly. Normally it happens during overnight stabling at off-center locations.

Yeah, American design innovations from the 1930s and 40s also were applied and used in Europe after WWII, even in the east.
This is also very noticeable for the Czech-built Tatra Trams, where the T1 through T3 models were all directly based on the American PCC and built from the 1950s onwards. The T3, which can be seen in the following film, was the most numerous tramway built, with 13 945 being built in Prague and supplied to the whole Eastern bloc. Just like the PCC in places like Boston, San Fran or El Paso, the T3 will remain in revenue service in many Czech, Slovak and other cities for 20 more years. Many have been modernized with new bodyshells or onboard electronics, some have got retrofitted low-floor centre modules, to make boarding barrier-free.

Interesting scenes. Any city in the US the size of Prague would be quite the opposite: clogged with cars and have no street cars.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back