[FR] Tram+VAL Tour de France 5: Bordeaux

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kcp

Bonjour,

next stop of the Tour de France: A fews days in Bordeaux.

Tram

My impression of the tram: Its a victim of its own success. The tram were pretty crowded. The APS power supply system that works without overhead wiring was originally developped for the tram in Bordeaux. The aim was to keep the archictural marvel of the city free of wires.

Tram impression from station "Hotel de Ville"

t_hdvegsnk.jpg

t_hdv2wgsqn.jpg

t_hdv3p8sqc.jpg

The tower of the cathedral St. André is few meters away from the building. It offers great view unto the cathderal

tour_cathcms97.jpg

over the city

tour_pano5nsev.jpg

unto the court house (to me this look more like a bunch of silos than a goverment building)

tour_pdjpusr2.jpg

Looking down unto the trams below

tour_tf2sm6.jpg

tour_t2s2siu.jpg

tour_t3vasi9.jpg

In "Buttinière" line A seperates in two branches. As there is a lot of green there, this made for some nice pictures.

t_butt1edj5u.jpg

t_butt28akdb.jpg

t_butt3k3jrj.jpg

t_butt48bj13.jpg

t_butt5jpkg4.jpg

t_butt6iuj15.jpg

Tram in front of the cathedral.

t_cath_tour3ekfa.jpg

The tram passes the Garonne river via the "Pont de Pierre".

t_pont8vse4.jpg

t_pont3qvs64.jpg

In the background the tower of church St Michel

t_pont2kssmq.jpg

In the church, there were several modern windows like this one of "The last supper"

michel179u7t.jpg

The "Pont de Pierre" at night.

pont_nuitzmk52.jpg

The "Place de la Bourse" offeres great architecture. Its great to look at day and night.

t_boursedjkhl.jpg

bourselxuds.jpg

bourse247u5p.jpg

bourse34xu09.jpg

The theatre "Grand Theatre" at night.

theatreh1sjz.jpg

One of the depots is near stop "Thier". Trams waiting for their next call of duty.

t_depot6fsbg.jpg

I call this "Portrait of a tram" ;-).

t_ramecqs1q.jpg

Tram of line B in a siding at "Bassin à Flot". Only every second train will continue further to the outskirts of the city. Fun fact: The tram passes over a lock. There are tracks on each gate of the lock, to keep the trams running, even if one gate to open to let a ship enter the lock.

t_bassinp8kwd.jpg

Next to the stop the bridge "Pont Chaban Delmas". Its a vertical-lift bridge that can be opened to let ships pass. When I passed there during the day, it was open

pont_chabin3zksz.jpg

later on at night, it was closed

xxx1knscm.jpg

Near the terminus "Berges de la Garonne" (line B) the road bridge "Pont de l'Aquitaine" spans across the Garonne. A took a ride with bus line 32, which runs over the bridge: Nice view from up there.

pont_aquitaine4wkg3.jpg

pont_aquitaine243j8r.jpg

And now, another church: "Sacré Coeur". Its s short walk away from Bordeaux main railway station St Jean.

sacre.jpgnnjxh.jpg

In addition to the usual big rose window, there were several small ones.

sacre26qk6h.jpg

sacre31ektn.jpg

Tram tracks and green in the night always make for a nice sohot.

t_nuitykskq.jpg

I did not notice the white stripes during the day

t_nuit27rs4w.jpg

The stop "Quiconnes" looks like an allée.

t_nuit36ssan.jpg

After that much trams, a bit of rest in the "Jardin Publique" garden

jardincau8p.jpg

If you want to see some water, head to "Le Lac".

lacd2ueg.jpg

"Real" Railway

As my hotel was close to the station, I had a nice of the railway bridge across the Garonne. Some impressions of the "real" railway.

Station hall of station St Jean

gare_intiiuab.jpg

A mural of the former rail network in the south west

gare_planrgu5p.jpg

Shunting of an Intercité trainset on the bridge

gare_pont1hpu6a.jpg

A TGV leaves Bordeaux (I guess it heads to Paris).

gare_pont2jvubd.jpg

A TER approaching St Jean

gare_pont3tzuf4.jpg

A TGV-Duplex

gare_pont400u8x.jpg

Morning has broken. After a little morning photo tour, I really enjoyed my breakfast.

gare_pont6j6uap.jpg

gare_pont7rwu9q.jpg

gare_pont8aauha.jpg

In terms of architecture, Bordeaux was the highlight of the trip. When you have a chance to go there: Just do it. After two night, I grabbed my back and got back on the train further south.

Salut
Charly

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back