[FR] Tram and more in the South of France III: Nice+Aix-en-Provence

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kcp

Bonjour,

for part three some mixed pictures from Nice and Aix-en-Provence

Gare Nice-Ville
A trip from Marseille to Nice takes about 2,5 hours. If you take a TGV or a TER train makes a difference of only a few minutes. I prefered the comfort of the 1st class in a TGV to a TER. The journey was nice, because the line runs close to the shore line most of the time. So there was a lot to see.

Impressions from Nice-Ville station
train_gare1zujro.jpg

train_gare4qvkpp.jpg

train_gare285kvs.jpg

train_gare59tk19.jpg

The facade
train_gare34lk3e.jpg

Tram Nice

Tram stop "Gare Thiers" is a 5min walk away from the station. The tram network consists of one line (further expansions are planned). A tram approaching terminus "Henri Sappia"
t_henrio5j7s.jpg

The station is located under a parking garage. The maintenance yard is close by. This tram will head to "Hotel Pasteur" in a few minutes
r_arch1n1jxs.jpg

In the city centre, there are sections without catenary. I have seen two catenary-free sections (Masséna to Opéra and Cathedrale to Garibaldi), but there might be more. As I only had about 6 hours in Nice and wanted to do some sight seeing, I did not ride along the full length of the line. The trams run on battery power in these sections. This made for some nice, catenary-free pictures.

Some pictures taken between Masséma and Opéra stops. In combination with the great architecture around, this was a perfect setting (apart from the "pole-sitting" artwork, which I did not like that much).
t_mass43oj83.jpg

t_mass6nvkjn.jpg

a_mass2aqb6.jpg

A welcome place to cool down (it was 27° hot that day): A dust of water
r_fraiche2vfju6.jpg

Always great to look at: Tram on gras
t_mass18bkrk.jpg

t_mass2qoj4b.jpg

t_mass50wkl7.jpg

Chemin de Fer de Provence

A quick jump to the "Chemin de Fer de Provence" that links Nice to Digne-les-Bains. The station was unmipressive...
r_prov_garezzj2l.jpg

...but the rolling stock inside, was worth seeing. Choose your favourite: old
r_prov120k68.jpg

or modern
r_prov2emjcn.jpg

The old CFP-station "Gare de Sud" is a fantastic piece of architecture
r_gare_sud7okzj.jpg

Sight seeing
A reminder of Nices past as part of Italy: The buildings surrounding the square in front of the cathedral
r_maisonsck8c.jpg

A must do in my book: Climbing up the hill near old town. The reward for the hike is a great view
r_vue24pkay.jpg

Two zoom tests for my camera, that turned out better than expected: An airplan that just has taken of from the airport...
r_avionxjka5.jpg

...and a tram near "Masséna"
t_zoom2b4kte.jpg

I will wrap up, Nice here. Apart from a sunburn that I got, this was a succesful trip to a charming city. Next stop: Aix-en-Provence

Aix-en-Provence

For a city that has 150K inhabitants, the station of Aix-en-Provence is very calm (Note: The TER on the right with the Pays-de-la-Loire paint job is a long way from home).
garen2qcv.jpg

The station may be small, but it has a piano.
pianob0pxa.jpg

In contrast, the TGV station "Aix-en-Provence TGV" is very busy and an architectural highlight (especially the roof)
dachwyrcq.jpg

dach25fpza.jpg

The other side
dach4hxrem.jpg

dach337ps5.jpg

Let's take a peak inside
hallerxoot.jpg

A look from the overpass between the platforms. On the right, the AVE I took from Marseille to get here
dach5ruq2y.jpg

A look from the southbound platform on the overpass and an Ouigo TGV
ouigo4coo29.jpg

A TGV passes the station on the through tracks without stopping
tgv61sqd.jpg

A TGV, the roof, the blue sky and some postcard clouds: The motive cannot get any better.
dtgv3blpwe.jpg

Aix is a very green city. Platanus wherever you look.
platanen4dshb.jpg

The tower of the cathedral tops the surrounding buildings
cath2lvomq.jpg

cathmpoo1.jpg

The cathedral had some great windows. Like this one
vitreews0v.jpg

As it was Ascension day, I went to mass. The collection was for renewing the audio system. The priest encouraged people to give generously, with an anecdote, that took place a few weeks ago: The bishop had started the mass with the traditional "In the name of father....". When he recognized that the audio was not working and said something like "We seem to have problem with the audio" and the parish responded "And with your spirit.", because they had expected him to say "The Lord be with you". This is how we Catholics are: No need to listen, because we know the drill ;-).
I am always surprised how catholic the Frensh are: In 10 days in France I used more Latin in mass, than in a whole year in Germany.

Want to take a stroll through the past of Aixes most famous son? Feel free...
cezannespo8s.jpg

From a distance, I thought this to be the tourist information. But it turned out to be a shop for fruit that someone had taken a bite of ;-).
applersq7b.jpg

Honestly, considering the praise it got in my guide book, I found Aix a bit disappointing. I liked the TGV station better than the city. But thats just my point of view.

Here ends part three of my trip to southern France. One more coming up.

Adieu
Charly

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back