[FR][IT] Cote d'Azur II: Genua, Tende, Menton

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kcp

Bonjour,

for the second part: A day trip to Genoa, the railway linking Nice and Tende and some mixed stuff.

Genoa

Genao is located about a three hours Thello ride from Nice. I had bought the tickets in advance for 25€ each way in first last. The day before my trip a freight wagon of a maintenance train derailed in a tunnel east of Nice and shutdown train services between Nice and Monaco. I called at the Thello ticket office in the evening to get information if my train would run the next morning. They could not tell me, because the SNCF had post-poned the re-opening of the line several time that day. But some time late that evening the traffic started again. So, my train run without problems the next day.

The red Thello locomotive (picture in first part of my trip report), was only in service for the train until we reached Ventimiglia just across the Italian border. There, is was replaced by an Trenitalia locomotive.

Some locomotives in Genoa. The one in the background will take care of my Thello to Ventimiglia

genova_loco6saok.jpg

Around the corner from the station: The "Ferrovia Principe-Granarolo" cog railway. The little red train runs every 40min.

genova_cremaille2hza47.jpg

One of several stops along the line

genova_cremaille1b0zna.jpg

The terminus "Granarolo"

genova_cremaille4hkl1j.jpg

The wooden interieur

genova_cremaille580le7.jpg

It was fun to ride this old, rumbling train.

Genoa has one metro line. The rolling stock reminded my of a tram running underground. The stop "Principe" near the railway station

genova_metro24uyk7.jpg

genova_metro5lsxxn.jpg

Trains at terminus "Brin"

genova_metro3iay2f.jpg

genova_metro4jrarh.jpg

When is the next train due? This screen will help to figure this out.

genova_metro1nxyg7.jpg

Another type of public transportation in Genoa: Two funiculars

The "Funicolare Sant'Anna" starts at "Piazze del Portello"

genova_funi1dozmm.jpg

The "Funicolare Zecca-Righi" runs partly in a tunnel and has several stops. A a consequence the cabin may stop somewhere along the line, because the other cabin serves a stop. Cabin at lower terminus

genova_funi2qpzem.jpg

Impressions from the above-ground section

genova_funi414y4r.jpg

genova_funi3pvxza.jpg

Severals lifts provide transportation. An architural marvel: The "Ascensore della Spianata Castelletto".

genova_asen1yoxha.jpg

genova_asen2raxz8.jpg

The mix of miscellaneous types of public transport was quite fascinating. Only negative point of the trip: It rained most of the day.

Tende

My second hiking tour to the Alp started in Tende. The train ride along the "Tende railway" alone was worth the trip. My first hiking trip of the day was from Tende to La Brique. I got there in time to catch the next train back to Tende.

View of Tende. On the mountain there is a little chapel. This was the destination of my second hiking trip

tende_ville27fsbq.jpg

Old town and the cathedral

tende_ville_cath6ysrt.jpg

The chapel comes into view

tende_prom_capelle2mbq60.jpg

Eureka.

tende_prom_capelle41toml.jpg

View of the viaduct of the "Tende railway".

tende_prom_capelle31wrlb.jpg

Enjoy the view

tende_prom_capelle8rhq8h.jpg

tende_prom_capelle6jlr8m.jpg

tende_prom_capelle9jwqjl.jpg

When I returned back down to Tende, I managed to catch a train on the viaduct.

tende_viaduct5y7plj.jpg

tende_viaduct3t0om0.jpg

tende_viaduct4g2ryq.jpg

To wrap up the day I visited the "Musee des Merveilles". The museum has an exhibition of engravings that prehistoric man left in various location. The whole region is dubbed "Vallée des merveilles" (Valley of Marvels).

tende_museecayn9.jpg

Departure board of Tende station. My train to Nice is the last for the day. Next departure: tomorrow.

tende_departbfa8i.jpg

Another kind of church windows in the small chruch next to city hall

tende_eglise_vitrehylhk.jpg

I can highly recommended to got to Tende, when you are in the vicinity.

Mixed Stuff

To wrap of my trip report some mixed impressions from different places.

Is there a relation between Cannes and movies?

cannes_filmbyj79.jpg

The old town of Menton

menton_villehsakg.jpg

A TER running through Menton

menton_traing0z7h.jpg

Nice hike along the water: I started at "Beaulieu-sur-Mer" station and walked along the "Cap Ferrat" peninsula. About 4 hours later I was back at the station. The tour offered some great scenary

beaulieu2vljam.jpg

beaulieu58ojem.jpg

beaulieu7cnjjn.jpg

On my way to Nizza I did a stopover in Avignon. "The" bridge at night.

avig_pont1u9j9y.jpg

This concludes second and final part of my report. I hope you enjoyed it.

Salut
Charly

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back