Early C&NW Diesel Paint

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Steve Snook

I am interested in knowing about the paint job on C&NW F-Units that was referred to Phase 1 Freight. The paint scheme was used in the late 1940's and early 1950's on F-Units only.. It consisted of either black or green on the top third of the locomotive and down the car body about 1/3 of the way, there was a yellow band across the middle of the car body and either green or black along the bottom 1/3 of the car body. I plan to paint, (air brush), an Athearn H.O. A-B-A set as soon as I can verify the colors. Little if anything is said about this paint scheme in any of the books on C&NW that I have. Does anyone have a history on this paint scheme? I've contacted a number of people about this with no success. I also learned that some of the authors of some very thorough C&NW books are now deceased. I am 75 years old and have decided to pick up this hobby where I left off over 50 years ago. The C&NW was and still is a passion of mine. Thank you for any help you can give me regarding this issue. Steve Snook

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back