Dirtiest/Cleanest Diesels?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bill Anderson

Which North American Class I railroads have the dirtiest and the cleanest diesels? I thought about this the other day when a friend marveled at seeing a clean BNSF diesel.

I lived in Chicagoland from 1987-91. The only time I saw a dirty AT&SF unit was one winter when diesels leading freights arriving from the West were not being washed due to extreme, sub-zero (F) cold. The only clean BNSF units I now see are brand new ones that have not had time to fade, peel, or accumulate road grime.

The UP used to field clean, shiny diesels; but I have noticed many dirty and faded units beginning to show up in photos posted by members in the Regional forums. Most of the NS diesels I see passing through town are shiny and clean, possibly a carry-over of the proud tradition of the old Southern Railway. CSX units can vary, although most I have seen look good.

What have others observed?

I've always thought the newer BNSF engines look nice, like any of the ES44AC/DC's. The Dash-9's are starting to show their age now. Especially any old ATSF units. I've always thought the ex-BN SD70's look better than any ATSF Dash-9's.

I've always kind of been under the impression that eastern railroads units are cleaner than western units. I've also noticed that CN's units are generally cleaner than CP's.

I know UP's diesels started looking grungier after they took over the SP routes (and tunnels). The soot and overall dirt is not conducive to keeping engines clean. Add to that, the water shortage in the West, and you have reason for dirt. I know if I were thirsty, and had no water, but the railroad was using hundreds of gallons to wash stuff that works just fine when dirty, how I would feel.

It depends if locomotives spend a lot of time in tunnels and coal service will determine how dirty they get. Here in British Columbia we have both.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back