Curious on path to engineer

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

A

AndoSteel

Hello,

I was curious. I have been working in finance all my life and have been successful in the field. After ten years of grinding away I now am VP of a major branch. I went to school for finance but it was really just for the sake of a money making career.

That being said, I have kind of felt burnt out in the past couple years. Realistically seeing numbers all day after day is just getting to me and the stress of the market is always there.

I was thinking of a career change working more directly and trains/planes had always interested me.

Son my question is, How long does it take to become an engineer with no experience in the field? I am currently 30 and hold a Bachelors if that helps.

I know the money won’t be the same but life is more than that.

Hello,

I was curious. I have been working in finance all my life and have been successful in the field. After ten years of grinding away I now am VP of a major branch. I went to school for finance but it was really just for the sake of a money making career.

That being said, I have kind of felt burnt out in the past couple years. Realistically seeing numbers all day after day is just getting to me and the stress of the market is always there.

I was thinking of a career change working more directly and trains/planes had always interested me.

Son my question is, How long does it take to become an engineer with no experience in the field? I am currently 30 and hold a Bachelors if that helps.

I know the money won’t be the same but life is more than that.
The best advice that I can offer you right now is to stay where you are now. The reason I say that is if your looking for a class 1 railroad like UP, BNSF, NS etc you'll have to start from the bottom and work your way up. In many cases many years and many furloughs.
It took just over five years to promote as an engineer. Even then is not guaranteed you'll stay one. If you pass the six month training and pass an initial check ride then a certification ride. If you fail the last one you have no job after a second attempt.
Since you have a degree you have a better chance at becoming a manager with a railroad instead. I hope this answers your question. If you have anymore send me a message.

You feel burned out in finance? Avoid railroading at all cost then! You can make over 6 figures doing railroad but you will be on call 24/7 365- even on holidays in many cases. NS is operating even on Christmas now, making you work the holiday. You can become an engineer when you time as a conductor moves you up in seniority to go to engine school- when your turn comes you are forced to go. In some cases that means we'll over 10 years as a conductor before you get a chance. The job will OWN you. You are at their beck and call by phone and they will try to Fire you over anything. If they don't like you and you get a target on your back they will bide their time and wait for you to make a mistake to Fire you. You have heard the term "railroaded" correct? You will be working with a majority high school educated people who would be lucky to work at Walmart in some cases and a high-school drama mentality exists along with a severe hatred between management and workers. From your description you don't need the stress that the RR gives you.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back