Cuba 2003 VIII... Good Morning, Santiago! (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous trip report part:
Cuba 2003 VII... From Camagüey Eastwards (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...ba-2003-VII-From-Camag%FCey-Eastwards-(50-p-)

February 24 2003

As always my relatives still were sleeping as I started my morning tour through Santiago de Cuba, with half a million inhabitants second largest city on the island. More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_de_Cuba

The city is spread out on steep hills around a well protected bay, in the beginning of colonization it had been the Cuban capital for a short time and the main port for the Spanish Armada in the Caribbean.
cu030801.jpg

cu030802.jpg

Children on their steep way to school.
cu030803.jpg

A popular type of transport during Santiago morning rushhour.
cu030804.jpg

Intuitively I walked downhill until I had reached the harbour. Fidel stayed in China at the time, also a Chinese merchant vessel was just unloading at the docks.
cu030805.jpg

Probably part of old Santiago railroad station.
cu030806.jpg

Now only passenger cars were being stabled here, Bahía de Santiago de Cuba in the background.
cu030807.jpg

cu030808.jpg

The new, architectonically interesting terminal had been completed in 1997 and bears the full name of a revolutionary, "General de División Senén Casas Regueiro". More about the station (in Spanish): http://www.ecured.cu/index.php/Estación_Ferroviaria_(Santiago_de_Cuba)
cu030809.jpg

cu030810.jpg

Yeah, finally a mainline train! Not just any, it was Cuba's premium express #1 Havanna - Santiago de Cuba, also known as "Tren Francés" or "Tren Especial". Less reason to rejoice caused the once more completely closed off station hall which did not provide ideal conditions for photography anyway.
cu030811.jpg

Why "Tren Francés" - so, "French Train"? Well, it consisted of former French state railroad company SNCF Inox-cars.
cu030812.jpg

Through the chain-link fence you could not take pictures ideally, but at least the lens of the compact digicam fitted through the gaps. #52401 and #52421, MLW class MX-624 diesel engines, 50 of which had been delivered 1975-76 from Canada, shunted the train out of the station soon after my arrival.
cu030813.jpg

As the express had disappeared I explored the building in detail.
cu030814.jpg

Modern, airport-like facilities and no chance to pass.
cu030815.jpg

A collection of Cuban passenger cars was stabled along the platforms, some converted from boxcars, others were former West German commuter carriages.
cu030816.jpg

I followed Paseo de Marti along the mainline, maybe something interesting would appear. In the background the foothills of Sierra Maestra were showing, where the revolutionaries had once hidden.
cu030817.jpg

What was that? A train in the landscape!
cu030818.jpg

The train drivers greeted me in a friendly fashion, they told me taking photos at that spot was OK, but I was not supposed to visit the yard further back.
cu030819.jpg

Shortly later I came to enjoy the mighty ALCO-sound with accompanying smoke cloud for the first time.
cu030820.jpg

Express #1 in front of the Sierra Maestra - what more could you wish for? :)
cu030821.jpg

Happily I walked back to the terminal - personally I would have not let any living being near this puddle, however.
cu030822.jpg

A Fiat railbus had been shunted to the platform.
cu030823.jpg

Tracks behind the station.
cu030824.jpg

View towards the port.
cu030825.jpg

Cyclist- and horse-drawn-cart-lane, quite necessary!
cu030826.jpg

#50913 screeching around the corner, a TEM2-K in the background.
cu030827.jpg

An EMD G8 from the 1950s, so equivalent to the omnipresent American streetcruisers from before the revolution.
cu030828.jpg

Several trucks waiting in front of the freight terminal along Avenida Jesus Menendez.
cu030829.jpg

cu030830.jpg

Once more an ingenious 1950s-design.
cu030831.jpg

Red tractors loading the Chinese ship.
cu030832.jpg

cu030833.jpg

A spacious park next to the harbour. A memorial to the underground-revolutionary Frank País from Santiago can be spotted in the back, also one of the figures revered by the regime ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_País ).
cu030834.jpg

Organized morning gymnastics in the park.
cu030835.jpg

cu030836.jpg

While others preferred to practize on the trumpet.
cu030837.jpg

View across the glassy, well protected Bahía.
cu030838.jpg

Breakfast was calling, I marched back uphill.
cu030839.jpg

Atmospheric hilly streets.
cu030840.jpg

cu030841.jpg

cu030842.jpg

I encountered the remains of the former streetcar network. Judging by the condition of the rails you would hardly imagine it already had been closed in 1952. More information can as always be found on this helpful site: http://www.tramz.com/cu/sc/sc.html
cu030843.jpg

Scenes like ? years ago...
cu030844.jpg

cu030845.jpg

Back at the private accomodation we took a rich breakfast. We were able to dry some laundry on the roof, from here a vista towards the cathedral opened up.
cu030846.jpg

We started our sightseeing-tour of the city walking along a few rather martial propaganda murials.
cu030847.jpg

cu030848.jpg

"For my people"...
cu030849.jpg

Probably one of the best known spots still showing tramway tracks in Santiago. The narrow old city center streets required innovative track laying.
cu030850.jpg

See you next time in the touristic part of Santiago! :)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back