CSX In Central NY & Samsung s23 Ultra , Camera & Video Editor Discussion

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

The zoom is rough as the control on my Samsung s23 Ultra is sliding my finger on the screen. And it steps regardless how I do that. I think with a better video editor I could work to smooth that.

Actually this exercise is going to be expensive for me. I literally have 10 hrs of editing on that because of how slow the editor/computer display and processing is. To have an interactive / real time type experience I will have to radically upgrade my computer. I have a gen 6 i7 right now with minimal 16gb ram , I need at least a gen 12 i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz and a LOT more ram along with a much faster graphics card. Right now the mother board/cpu/graphics speed it simply too slow and the ram & memory on my graphics is not enough. :(
I've learned what is probably the most economical is to find a mid-range gaming computer, either laptop or desktop, for content creation. The "business class" computers with the hardware you need cost almost twice what a comparable "gaming" machine costs.
I built a "gaming" desktop for my son to use to edit his podcasts, and it cost about a third of just going out and buying a creator's version of the same thing.
My current laptop has a new AMD high performance processor, 10GB vram, and QHD+ screen for about a thousand dollars. If you don't want to spend that much, you can easily find "last year's model" for about 2/3 of that, and still have a very powerful machine. Desktops are a lot more customizable and upgradable, but you do need to know what you're doing.
FWIW, my "backup, spare" computer is an older model Alienware gaming machine I picked up for $300 off craigslist. It's got a 17" display, 8Gb vram, and a 6 core i-7 processor. It's probably about 3x "better" than what you're using now.
If you have a Best Buy near you, you can take advantage of their liberal return/exchange policy to get something you can use, and if it doesn't work for you, you can return or exchange it until you find one that will work. Most of these gaming laptops and desktops can have all their "gamey" light shows turned off, and can be used as "normal" machines, but still utilize the high-end components.
If you want to get a desktop, I like the Acer Predator Orion 3000 machine, they're easily found for under $600, and are easily upgradable to do what you want. The newer ones have 11th generation Intel processors, 6Gb vram, and 8Gb ram. Ram and storage are insanely easy to upgrade in it, as well. If you get a refurbished unit off that online auction site, you can get one with a 2 year replacement warranty.

Interesting & thank you BTW. If you were to "spec" a machine, starting with a gen 11 0r 12 i7, what would you see as a solid machine to run these new editors like Divinci Resolve or what I've decided either Lightworks ( Because I worked with the founder in the '90's ) or Openshot ? Seems to me mine just struggles with moving data from one place to another & the graphics is beyond slow. Bus speed has to be a part of that as well as the ability to process and display larger pixel "dense" video

Settled on this mix for the equipment I have:
Samsung s23 Ultra set at hd60, Openshot with effectively the same resolution on the output file BUT with a 59.2 fps setting vs the 60. NO idea why that works but it got rid of some stop/start jerks during the video.

Interesting & thank you BTW. If you were to "spec" a machine, starting with a gen 11 0r 12 i7, what would you see as a solid machine to run these new editors like Divinci Resolve or what I've decided either Lightworks ( Because I worked with the founder in the '90's ) or Openshot ? Seems to me mine just struggles with moving data from one place to another & the graphics is beyond slow. Bus speed has to be a part of that as well as the ability to process and display larger pixel "dense" video
Almost any "modern" machine will do well. Even the lesser processors will keep up with your graphics demands. An I-5 12th or 13th generation, or an AMD Ryzen 7 or 9, 6th generation or newer will work well. As for graphics processing, I have an Nvidia RTX3060ti in my desktop, and I have an AMD RX6700m in my laptop.
For a desktop, I'd suggest a Lenovo Ideacentre 5i with a I5 and RTX3050. It's currently on sale at your local Best Buy for a tick under $800, brand new. It has a 12th generation processor, plenty of memory, and you can easily add more storage.
If you want a laptop, mine is a Legion 7 Pro, with Ryzen 7 and the RX6700m.It also cost a lot more than the desktop I suggested.

Settled on this mix for the equipment I have:
Samsung s23 Ultra set at hd60, Openshot with effectively the same resolution on the output file BUT with a 59.2 fps setting vs the 60. NO idea why that works but it got rid of some stop/start jerks during the video.

And the video started at about the 2:40 mark. It does seem to not "grab and pause" as much.

More "research" and a HUGE upgrade. One of the "bottle necks" in this endeavor was both the uploading of Video but also the play back. I had a older Belkin wifi router with an ookla test result like 15-20 mbps down load & 5-8 mpbs upload. SO partly because of feed back here I bought another. I'll just post pics and needless to say the upload speed is better, but the play back from YouTube is orders of magnitude better :)
1689707332764.png

1689707304400.png

Now "4k" is possible on the down load, and my GRAPHICS card is the bottle neck , same as with the Editors. This a "Low Light" capture with EMD's paired up with GE's/ The second trains DPU and interestingly painted EMD sd70 :)

You're doing better and better. Depending where your computer is, and where your router is, you may be able to get even more download/upload speed by simply plugging in an ethernet cable between the computer and router. Wifi 6 is great, and what I have, but unless your computer has wifi6, as well, you are losing a lot of speed through the older equipment. Your computer probably has wifi5, usually called something like "xxAC, or xxAE"
Try plugging in an ethernet cable, make sure it is using the ethernet, and run a speed test again.

Order in. I've used stands before, and the vibration from the train overwhelmed the anti shake, but that was a free standing stand vs. one where my grip dampens the vibrations.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back