BNSF Southern Transcon at Grants, NM

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Yard Limit

The BNSF Southern Transcon is a railroad corridor between Southern California and Chicago, Illinois. Completed in its current alignment in 1908 by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, when it opened the Belen Cutoff in New Mexico and bypassed the steep grades of Raton Pass, it now serves as a mostly double-tracked intermodal corridor.
The BNSF Gallup Subdivision runs between Belen, New Mexico and Winslow, Arizona. It is 284.5 miles long.
Grants, New Mexico, MP 96, is a small town about halfway between Albuquerque, New Mexico and Gallup, New Mexico. I had heard that there would be five private cars on Amtrak 3 on August 24, 2017 and thought that Grants would be a good place to catch them and also give me the opportunity to catch some transcon freight as well. Amtrak was so late departing Albuquerque that it was really too late to get a decent video of the train, but it is presented for your viewing pleasure nonetheless.
Caboose 999726 ordains a park in the center of Grants. This beautifully restored car was parked on a siding in Grants for a number of years before being resurrected and placed in the park.
Here is a roster of trains with their locomotives that we saw during our two day adventure.

That looks like fast track territory. Any idea of the speed of those intermodal freights? I read that the old Super C would routinely travel at 79mph, the maximum speed allowed for freights at the time.

The mid train DPUs are interesting. As you know, we never see them up here on the Scenic Sub.

You got the added bonus of a 40 year anniversary/commemorative/heritage unit on #3. I like the way its stripes match those of the new baggage car behind it. Maybe Amtrak should (re)paint all of its Genesis units that way.

The track speed for this area is 70 mph freight and 90 mph for passenger. Thanks for watching and commenting Bill!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back