Anyone support idea of surcharges on Amtrak tickets, thumbs up?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Jenngar

When the ex CEO of Delta ran Amtrak for one year (he didn't take a salary as he made so much when he Delta he brought over bad things from the airline industry) he closed a call center in Riverside with about 500 employees, saying that it was not needed as everyone booked online anyway (this is why many travel agencies had to close as no longer could commission from airlines. ) As anyone who's ever called Amtrak KNOWS, it takes a very long time, could be up to six hours (yes I waited when Amtrak first started again after Pandemic) to talk to a rep. He was wrong, many passengers I have observed can't book online maybe due to religion (Amish) or not proficient (elderly) I think from MY observations they make up more passengers than some others as younger people decline to ride trains a lot and regrettably (as this was another bad habit gotten from the airlines) charge a nominal (not egregious one like $30-40 as some legacy carriers do) but like $5 for a booking maybe $1 for changes, nothing if you need to file a complaint or get some info (although should and could be done online, some people say that if you do so, nothing gets done but does if you talk to someone), that can be staffed by less people and trip information like checking a status of a train with first question on there for robotic updated train status so people don't need to be on hold for that and all those can be on another phone number-as less urgent and for booking only, another "express" number with the fees added on to the tickets NOT a fee when you call, no fee for ordering a Rail press (as can't be done online) and only $1 for changes in itinerary and no charge for second call for paying for a ticket on hold which already has the booking with the fee.

I was on hold so long because I did not know you can add stops on your railpass online but at the time of sale, agents over the phone SHOULD tell you that you will be charged if you don't do it online but show you how to do it there. I for one, would gladly pay the fee, because I like the ability to hold a reservation for 24 hours which you can not do when you book online (this is good when there's a special price or some reason the ticket may go up in price) usually I want to contact my friends who I'm visiting is it convenient if I come at such and such time or want to think it over.

What do others think of this idea, thumbs up or down?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back