Allah Station, Arizona

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

grizbaird

I wonder if anyone knows if any photos exist of the small Allah Depot or Station which was located by what is now the Hassayampa River Preserve south of Wickenburg, Arizona.

Apparently a flag stop for guests at the resort & dude ranch called The Garden of Allah (and Castle Hot Springs resort). Formerly Alice Siding. Peavine or ATSF.

Garden of Allah was a relatively short-lived resort ranch circa 1913-1919 named after the popular novel of that time, which later became a Broadway play and three movies (including one with Marlene Dietrich and Charles Boyer).

I believe you can just make out the ruins/stone-foundation of this station here in the trees: 33°55'57.33"N 112°41'59.73"W

Thank you very much,
Chris B.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 78
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 80
I was able to get down to the Allah depot ruins this morning.
There are a lot of large, fallen trees that make it difficult to survey.
The wooden posts are what I believe is all that is left of the water tower supports.
Of course the train came 5 minutes after I had already left and scaled the 65 foot cliff to head back out...

Chris B.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    664.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    732.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for the update. I've driven by that area on the highway many times but didn't know anything was there. The RR south of Wickenburg along the river has always been interesting,

Some bits and pieces of information here:

Looks like you are the expert now. :)

Bruce

Last edited:
Thank you very much, Bruce.
There's a few gems in there for background information that I hadn't seen.

I forgot to walk down the tracks either direction to see if the "Allah" signs remain. I guess BNSF still maintains and repaints the signs.
(the attached photo is in the Hassayampa River Preserve museum where the Garden of Allah resort used to be).

Chris B.

Attachments

• Allah sign.jpg
    Allah sign.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 25
FYI, the shiny motors were ARZC 4400, 4401 and 4402 in order.
I just missed them from ground level and was bummed!

Chris B.

Attachments

• IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    446.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 25

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back