Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Empty rails under full trees

Empty rails under full trees

On a glorious Columbus Day 2002, CP's Freight Main between Schenectady and Binghamton, NY, was unfortunately nearly devoid of trains. Just west of Richmondville siding in East Worcester, Brooker Hollow Road passes over the old D&H line on an ancient through truss; normally the featured...
  2. Playing peek-a-boo at Tunnel 4

Playing peek-a-boo at Tunnel 4

On a glorious summer afternoon in the Cascade Mountains, westbound M-PASVBT1-05A has just exited Stampede Tunnel as it approaches Tunnel 4 west of Stampede station. The date was August 5th, 2007, and I waited in the shade of some trees nearly seven and a half hours between the only two trains I...
  3. Winner - Sounder #1505 approaching Tacoma

Winner - Sounder #1505 approaching Tacoma

On Tuesday, March 4th, my employer sent me down to the Tacoma, Washington area to take photos for marketing purposes, which provided me with my first opportunity to photograph typical Sounder commuter rail operations. As sunset neared, the clouds which had been lingering around the area all...
  4. Winner - Milwaukee Road's Columbia River Bridge

Winner - Milwaukee Road's Columbia River Bridge

A few miles south of where I-90 crosses the Columbia River is a quiet town called Beverly. Tucked against the slowly-drifting river in the shadow of the Saddle Mountains, Beverly's most arresting man-made feature hasn't been used for its intended purpose in nearly three decades, now merely...
  5. Springtime along Samish Bay

Springtime along Samish Bay

The first signs of spring are beginning to show at Dogfish Point along Samish Bay, with grasses greening up and the trees having thawed out and begun to bud. Through this scene sweeps Amtrak Cascades train #513, ten minutes into its daily journey from Bellingham to Portland.
  6. DWHonan

Comment by 'DWHonan' in media 'Across the Abyss'

Very nice shot, Steve! -Dave
  7. DWHonan

Comment by 'DWHonan' in media 'W&I bridge 56'

That's quite a unique structure -- I've never seen a combined truss/girder beam. Oh, and nice catch of the Black Widow! -Dave
  8. Sounder #1505 approaching Tacoma - March 2008 Photo Assignment

Sounder #1505 approaching Tacoma - March 2008 Photo Assignment

On Tuesday, March 4th, my employer sent me down to the Tacoma, Washington area to take photos for marketing purposes, which provided me with my first opportunity to photograph typical Sounder commuter rail operations. As sunset neared, the clouds which had been lingering around the area all...
  9. DWHonan

Comment by 'DWHonan' in media 'Milwaukee Road's Columbia River Bridge - March 2008 Photo Contest'

Earl, Thanks! I just posted a discussion of why I chose this particular version of the photo over at RR Photo Essays: http://www.railroadphotoessays.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9606&posted=1#post9606 -Dave
  10. DWHonan

Comment by 'DWHonan' in media 'Twilight on the Foss River Bridge'

Very well done, Steve! -Dave
  11. DWHonan

Comment by 'DWHonan' in media 'Milwaukee Road's Columbia River Bridge - March 2008 Photo Contest'

Thanks, everyone! Jon B., I'll certainly post it on the essays site. -Dave
  12. Milwaukee Road's Columbia River Bridge -  March 2008 Photo Contest

Milwaukee Road's Columbia River Bridge - March 2008 Photo Contest

A few miles south of where I-90 crosses the Columbia River is a quiet town called Beverly. Tucked against the slowly-drifting river in the shadow of the Saddle Mountains, Beverly's most arresting man-made feature hasn't been used for its intended purpose in nearly three decades, now merely...
  13. BNSF 5724 East at Easton

BNSF 5724 East at Easton

BNSF 5724, one of the first pre-production ES44ACs, was on the point of empty grain train X-KALULE9-16A as it dropped off Stampede Pass at the west end of two main tracks outside of Easton, WA, on February 17th.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back