Recent content by robjacox

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. R

Dumb question: Cascades power

Since the trains currently run with non-powered cab cars, it really wouldn't matter which end of the consist the actual "power" is on, there's stilll a "locomotive" on either end. Since the trains pull into a mostly stub-ended Seattle station, would seem they'd want to keep the running power...
  2. R

Well cars missing from the old MLW main between Maytown and Centralia, WA...

Drove along the Centralia-Grand Mound section a couple of time Thanksgiving weekend. There were some care up near Grand Mound, but the line was clear from just south of the Great Wolf Lodge to Centralia. My non-railfan 17 year old son, quite the logical one, asked about them. I explained that &...
  3. R

Has technology really made the hobby (and your life) better?

Yes to all forms of technology. Only bummer is so much crap to pack for the trip! I have been contemplating setting up a self-contained ATCS Monitor (scanner feed), but I really don't like being tied to my car. We usually end up hiking aways from the car, so I use ATCS Monitor on my cell phone...
  4. R

Comment by 'robjacox' in media 'CN Power on the Oregon Trunk'

It would have been a "10" if you took it today!
  5. R

Info on the BNSF Sub's in the Pacific Northwest

Oregon Oregon Trunk Sub. - Wishram, WA to Klamath Falls, OR. Gateway Sub. - Klamath Falls, OR to Keddie, CA (?)
  6. R

Diesel MU hoses

Looks like the couple of photos I have of it missing most of its' MU hoses may have been taken of the same train, or within a short time of each other. The 2-digit road number SD40-2's were locotrol equipped, and the 21 was a master. I imagine it spent most of it's time in the lead, with...
  7. R

Diesel MU hoses

I'm modeling some Milwaukee Road SD40-2's in HO scale. Many of their SD40-2's were missing some or all of the MU hoses. I know railroads use either 3 or 4, their uses well documented elsewhere on the internet, but no mention of the use of less. The units I am modeling are the radio control...
  8. R

SP 192 - Ultimate Heritage Unit

My son Austin (out on his first post-graduation railfanning expedition!) caught the SP 192 leading a northbound manifest at Bucoda, WA, on the Seattle Sub. yesterday (June 19): http://austinjacox.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3074170 Anyone up in Seattle/Tacoma see it, and any info...
  9. R

Gorgerail 2012

Thanks Steve and all for the great production. The slide shows this year were awesome. Looking forward to next year. In addition to great presentations, a great venue, and some very nice pre- and post-show socializing, we also scored some pretty good railfanning over the weekend despite some...
  10. R

Rail Movement Software???

I use ATCS Monitor when railfanning the BNSF side of the Columbia River Gorge, where a wonderful railfan has set up a server so I can monitor it without a radio link. I run the program on my Windows computer (it only runs under Windows) and access that computer over the internet with my Android...
  11. R

Train viewing on the BNSF at the Crooked River Bridge

Trains don't run on any schedule at all. We typically see 4 trains a day through here during the daytime. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But that is a good average. Monitoring the scanner is your best option. BNSF uses 161.100 along the entire Oregon Trunk Subdivision. Since they use Track...
  12. R

Electricity created by dynamic braking fed back into US grid?

If the initial cost and complexity of installing overhead wires wasn't an issue, we would certainly have more electrified lines. If a locomotive had enough onboard storage capacity to contain dynamic braking power and "recharge" the grid, it would instead just use that power to power itself. GE...
  13. R

Powder River Basin/Crawford Hill railfanning Questions

Planning a trip to Powder River Basin and Crawford Hill in September. Being totally unfamiliar with the area (other than studying maps, photos, and trip reports), I have a couple of questions that hopefully will help me plan things out. So far, this is what we have planned. We have to drive...
  14. R

Call for presenter for Gorgrail 2012

Austin is planning another short show (6-8 minutes), and I may do one if I have the material and time!
  15. R

Heads-up Oregon Trunk fans... Vancouver BC to Modesto unit train.

Oregon Trunk Yahoo! Group A few months ago I started a Yahoo! Group for Oregon Trunk railfans. Just a couple of us fans from the Bend/Redmond, one from Biggs, and one from Pasco, so the group it hasn't been too effective as a "heads up" tool, since we all live so close. Looking for others who...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)