Recent content by Bill Anderson

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Bill Anderson

Where is the Omaha Posse?

Wow, a 230 car coal train!!!!!!!!!! That is about twice the length of the coal trains we see up here that are on their way to Roberts Bank, BC for transloading for shipment to the Far East.
  2. Bill Anderson

UP 9031 West from Council Bluffs

For the Omaha Posse: The Northwest Forwarder departs Council Bluffs behind UP 9031, a 4-12-2 steam locomotive. Notice that the second diesel of the eastbound cattle train is a passenger unit, possibly an E7.
  3. Bill Anderson

A little action at Carkeek...

Good shots, thanks for posting. Next time focus on the woman in the bikini and shoot at f/16 to get both her and the Builder in focus. ;)
  4. Bill Anderson

Bridge burned, Benton Co. WA

All of the Pacific Coast is on fire.
  5. Bill Anderson

Baltic states - videos

Those first two diesels deserve the title of "Honorary Steam Locomotives." if I recall correctly, those are the older, Russian built units without Caterpillar engines like the newer units. Looking forward to more visits in the fall when the leaves have turned. I'll trade traffic noise for...
  6. Bill Anderson

Baltic states - videos

What a video. You hit the trifecta. The station appears to be at the summit of the grade. Is that true? This could be my favorite train spotting location if I lived in the area. 😍
  7. Bill Anderson

Looking to establish sign values

I recommend you query eBay and see what prices listed there.
  8. Bill Anderson

Much easier to love it from up here in the Puget Sound region of the PNW.
  9. Bill Anderson

Grounding a Searchlight Signal

In 1975, when I was living in Sacramento, I went on a road trip with my parents and younger sister, who were living in Santa Rosa at the time, to visit relatives in Colorado and Iowa. I noticed that every farm house in Iowa had lightning rods. I later saw why as one evening I witnessed a...
  10. Bill Anderson

Geneva, Illinois - August 29, 2020

I lived in Naperville for four years. Ever year I was there, someone flipped the switch from "summer" to "fall" on Labor Day weekend.
  11. Bill Anderson

Baby born on Amtrak California Zephyr train in March 2019 - Q&A

Quite an adventure. I might name my child after the AMTRAK employee that delivered him/her, but I would not name him "AMTRAK." As far as taking the train in the first place, I think the couple cut it too close to the due date. There are some towns on the line in Nevada (Wendover, Carlin...
  12. Bill Anderson

CN in Whitecourt, Alberta 2020

Good photos. It must be nice to have resident diesels in your town.
  13. Bill Anderson

How to post photos in the gallery?

Sorry about that. As a moderator I thought I could help you, but I cannot delete the photos either. You will have to wait until Bob the owner/administrator can help. Once the photos are deleted, I suggest you start a thread in the Midwestern US section of the forum and post your photos there...
  14. Bill Anderson

Chinese Steam: Sandaoling Coal Mines

I found this video on You Tube of steam operations at the Sandaoling coal mining complex in northwestern China. The scenery, couplers, track gauge, and signals give it a very North American look. For those not familiar with Chinese steam locos, here is info on the JS class...
  15. Bill Anderson

What is on the flat cars in the last photo?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)