Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Meet at Pine Lodge
Holloran Grade

Meet at Pine Lodge

There are really only two ways to photograph operating trains that you are not riding on. In the first instance you pick a good spot and wait for a train to come. In the alternative and clearly more fun method, you chase the train in your trusty railfanning vehicle and meet it at a number of predetermined spots that you know will provide images with interesting backgrounds and good light on the nose and sides of the lead engine(s). That considered, when one engages in a train chase, there are a few things that cannot be foreseen during said chase that greatly effect the results of the photographic efforts of the participants, one of which is the presence of an extra train in the wrong place at the wrong time and as here, on the wrong track. In this instance I had been on a scouting trip on a dirt road further up the hill near Stein's Hill when I heard the BNSF (in the distance) heading down the hill. Having already hit my favorite spots up the hill, I boogied on down the freshly rutted dirt road paralleling I-15 and got on Highway 138 for the dash across Cajon Creek to a little spot I know near Pine Lodge. Then as I pull in off the highway all fat and happy, ready to a get a good shot of the big Orange one coming down the grade, I hear the rumble of a Yellow one as it blasts from under the bridge to my right. Now I am stuck with some great afternoon light and an extra train on the wrong track. Too bad these were not reversed, but that is life and I thought this one came out rather interesting.
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Western United States
Added by
Holloran Grade
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back