Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Kootenay Bound

Kootenay Bound

CP SD40-2 5944 leads eastbound afternoon freight out of Nelson BC on July 21, 2000.
I may be splitting hairs here, but this train is in and will remain in the Kootenays. Both the west and east kootenays.

This stretch of track has been an internal short line since 1997. It operates under the guise of the Kootenay Valley Railway with all managerial decisions made at a local level. CP provides locomotives and rolling stock and crews are governed under their own collective agreement. The short line is made up of the westward segment of the Nelson sub, (from mile 55 to mile 137.8) the Boudary sub, (Nelson to Castlegar 25.7 miles) and the Rossland sub (Castlegar to Trail and then up to Warfield 21.3 miles). The line serves a lumber reload facility in Nelson, a large pulp mill and sawmill complex in Castlegar, and the TechCominco smelter in Trail. The line sees one train daily eastbound and then returning westbound, as well as two switcher jobs; the Kraft switcher at Castlegar (usually SW1200rs CP#1238)and the Trail yard switcher (a pair of CP GP38-2's). The train is numbered 563 and 564 respectively.

The scenery is very spectacular in this region and is well worth a visit as rumors have been flying around for the past few years of the line being a candidate for abandonment. If anyone would like any specific details or has any questions regarding this line, feel free to email me :)

hey i live in nelson. ive put a few pic of my own on. so how much longer do u think this line really has? and did they say that the Rockey Mountainier might be tested on this line? thats wut i heard earlier this year

Media information

Category
Canada
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back