Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Glen Ellyn Curve

Glen Ellyn Curve

UP 5901 leads a coal train east through the sweeping triple-track curve at Glen Ellyn, IL on 10-24-04.
Nice curve, nice light, nice fall color, composition is good, shame its a suburb of Poleville.

Yes. ComEd has spent a century building up an especially
haphazard array of crazily leaning distribution line poles
in this area. Such ancient pole forests are not
uncommon in an old suburb like
Glen Ellyn. I found an old steel line pole the other day
along the ex-CA&E right of way (now a bike trail) that
dated from Insull days (the 1920s).

The poles are impossible to avoid, so I try to use them for
framing when I can - and try to accept them as a
suburbo-industrial backdrop when I can't. When I shot
this photo, I was actually leaning against the outside
of a pole both to provide stability for the camera and
to make sure that I was on public ROW.

- Ed Kyle

Very nice shot Ed! I moved down to Florida from Glen Ellyn about 8 years ago. The only thing that turns colors down here is the grass as it goes dormant in the "winter". I now have a new desktop picture, Thanks!

Funny - I moved to Glen Ellyn *from* Florida
(18 years ago now). I loved scuba diving,
swimming, etc., but I also missed the Fall
season. Florida has only two seasons, right?
Hurricane and Fire?

And not much railroad-wise in my part of
Florida since it seemed that FEC ran most
of its trains at night.

But Glen Ellyn has trains. The old Geneva
Sub is busier than ever with something like
50 freights and 60+ Metras on weekdays.
Freightwise, it is now the busiest railroad
in Chicagoland - busier than even the famed
BNSF "Racetrack" located a few miles to the
south.

- Ed Kyle

That is funny! Take a look at my gallery.
http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3753
The I-55 alowed me to get to Lemont in 20 minutes on a good day. I live in Kissimmee. We only have the CSX line to Tampa here. They do run trains 24 hours, so that's nice, but nothing like Chicagoland! I remember going to LaGrange as a kid to see the 5632 and the 4960 pulling excursions on the old CB&Q. I REALLY miss my trains.

Media information

Category
Central and Midwestern United States
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back