Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Amtrak Empire Service Crosses Spuyten Duyvil Creek

Amtrak Empire Service Crosses Spuyten Duyvil Creek

Southbound Amtrak Empire Service train #250 (Albany to NY Penn Station) crosses the swing bridge over Spuyten Duyvil Creek and onto Manhattan Island.
Good photo. Did you run into any trouble with police or security in that area?

Reason I ask, I was in the area in January. Kept hearing helicpoters and then saw NYC police boats.

Someone, I think at Metro North, called in and reported me.

Police demanded ID and said photography of bridges isn't allowed.

I told them I saw no signs saying photography was banned.

How did I get there, they asked. It's a public park, I said. I walked down to the shore from the trails above. The trails run under the Henry Hudson.

I was on a rock on the shore awaiting the next SB.

Next time I visit, I plan to be further in the treed area, so I'm not as easily seen, and then head to the shore area when the train approaches for the pix.

Interesting story Ohlemeier - I walked back there from the park on the Hudson River side of the tracks and crossed over to get to the spot where the picture was taken (I think very close to where you were). After I got the photo, I had just started walking back south, when an NYPD police cruiser came flying up through the park right past me, on the grass with lights flashing. They pulled up to the spot where I had just come back up into the park and sat there in the car. I was only about 100 yards away but walking in the other direction, so I just kept walking and they never came after me. I was wondering if it had been me they were after, and your story seems to confirm that was likely. I think there is a bridge operator in the little shack on the swing portion of the bridge - perhaps he called me in. I will probably not go back there, but if I ever do I'll go down through Inwood Hill park like you did...
Good luck! Don't let the Man get you down.

Thanks for your comments.

I think my problem was turning the camera toward the Metro North line and getting shots of that.

Standing on that rock, which jetted out into the water, allowed great shots of the Amtrak bridge as well as Metro North.

I even got shots of the police in their boat. I had no idea they were after me.

They told me I couldn't remain there and would have to leave. I climbed back up to the park trails but didn't leave. I kind of hid behind some trees and waited for them to leave. I also walked back up the series of trails to the top of the park, to kill time.

I returned to another area I had been shooting from - directly below the Henry Hudson bridge - where I had shot Metro North trains from across the river.

Instead of leaving the scanner on the Amtrak channel, I hit scan. Then I heard someone say, "he's back taking pictures again." I had no idea where that call came from.

After hearing that, I made a beeline back up the hill to the trails and then ran toward my car, which was parked on Dyckman street under the Henry Hudson freeway. I realized I had dropped a hood (it was January and freezing), so I returned to find it and decided to stay and try for some other shots.

I'll post some of the pictures later.

Media information

Category
Amtrak and other US Passenger Trains
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back