Traffic light green gate up but lights flashing?!

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

newbtrainz

Waiting for a green left arrow to turn left across the tracks.

Gate is down, lights are flashing.

Train goes by.

Get green arrow, gates go up, start turning.

Crossing lights continue to flash indefinitely. No train ever comes.

What happened? Is there danger in this situation? I.e. could another train come after the traffic light turns green and gate goes up if crossing lights are flashing.

Could be, and likely is, a glitch in the system. With the lights flashing, you are supposed to stop. If you can clearly see in both directions there is no train, you can proceed with caution. There should be a small sign bolted to the crossing signal with the owning railroad's name, phone number, and crossing number. Call the number and provide them with the crossing number, and they'll send somebody out to take a look.

Are the traffic lights linked to the crossing signals? I would think so otherwise they would be allowing green light left turns to a closed gate.

Are the traffic lights linked to the crossing signals? I would think so otherwise they would be allowing green light left turns to a closed gate.
Some are, some aren't. It depends on the municipality that owns the traffic lights, who owns the railroad, and what, if any, relationship there is between them.

I can't tell you how many damn crossings I had to protect because of some malfunction.... but this is something different

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back