Regional Rail Express - 62: Transilvania V (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Regional Rail Express - 61: Transilvania IV (50 p.)

The video for this part:

May 1 2023

At six o'clock Monday morning, I walked from our wooden hut to Șuncuiuș station. Soon, punctual IRN 1741 Bukarest - Satu Mare emerged from the fog and passed by without halting.
heck6201.jpg

The new highlight since my last visit: IRN 405 "Corvin" Szolnok - Cluj conveying overnight through cars arriving from Vienna by D 347 "Dacia":

heck6202.jpg

The "back of the crocodile" (see previous report part) sticking out of the fog.
heck6203.jpg

GM engine #1000 (92 53 064 1000-0, formerly 65-1000) had been reactivated in 2019 after eight years of serving as a spare parts donor.
heck6204.jpg

This sleeping and couchette car as well as IR "Transilvania" provide the two daily direct connections from Vienna to Șuncuiuș.
heck6205.jpg

heck6206.jpg

At a frosty 35 degrees I warmed up inside the hut in the meantime. Views across Crișul Repede river on the way.
heck6207.jpg

I ventured outside again after 7 a.m.
heck6208.jpg

As promised: the track maintenance vehicles in morning sunlight.
heck6209.jpg

Spiderwebs connected all the cars.
heck6210.jpg

heck6211.jpg

IR 1539 Cluj - Timișoara approached as a Desiro DMU.
heck6212.jpg

heck6213.jpg

I did not mind a DMU, that way I could take pictures of the rear with the "crocodile's snout" in best morning light.
heck6214.jpg

I returned to the accommodation; we said good-bye to our hosts. After a little drama when someone took the key to the hut with them, and a short sprint back - luckily, the man of the house met me on his bicycle - we just made it to punctual IR 146 "Transilvania" at 9:19 a.m. towards Vienna.
heck6215.jpg

heck6216.jpg

We took our seats in the rear first class car - the ride through the gorge can be found at the end of the video.
heck6217.jpg

August 5 2018

Five years back I was riding on an IRC former DB 628 from Poieni to Oradea. The valley widens to a plain behind Vadu Crişului, we met IR 367 "Harghita" Budapest - Brașov.
heck6218.jpg

The modern station building of Oradea Est.
heck6219.jpg

May 1 2023

Arrival at Oradea; we were greeted by a TFC ex-Regiobahn Talent.
heck6220.jpg

Also nicely illuminated: CFR 142.044 (Reşiţa 1938, licensed build of BBÖ 214/ÖBB 12) and 230.142 (Malaxa 1932, licensed build of a a Prussian P 8 ). However, (factory) numbers should be taken with a pinch of salt, 142.044 might actually be .033.
heck6221.jpg

"Transilvania" to Vienna meeting the biggest ever steam loco designed in Austria.
heck6222.jpg

heck6223.jpg

How nice to still encounter original Sulzers in passenger service in 2023.
heck6224.jpg

Well-known 064 1300 has been equipped to haul IR 406/407 "Corona" with its Brașov (in German: "Kronstadt") crown logo.
heck6225.jpg

heck6226.jpg

"Transilvania" met IR 1831 Timișoara - Iași, sadly entering track 2 in the shade.
heck6227.jpg

August 5 2018

Five years ago in the mid of summer.
heck6228.jpg

628 and Sulzer in local traffic.
heck6229.jpg

Angular German second-hand vehicle meeting at Oradea.
heck6230.jpg

Tatra KT4DM #203 (until 2017 Berlin public transport #6108).
heck6231.jpg

Not at all second-hand are the ten Siemens ULF (Ultra Low Floor) streetcars purchased in 2008, the only city operating the type next to Vienna.
heck6232.jpg

The large station had been opened 1857 by the imperial couple and extended at the turn of the century.
Sadly, no streetcars operated throughout the entire eastern half of the network due to extensive road construction works during my second visit.
heck6233.jpg

May 1 2023

After arrival, we walked past a sightseeing highlight near the station: the bishop's palace finished in 1777 and the Catholic cathedral St. Mary of the Assumption / St. Ladislaus both are amongst the largest baroque buildings in the region.
heck6234.jpg

heck6235.jpg

The history of modern Oradea had started in the 11th century with the founding of the diocese by Ladislaus I.:

You can follow the episcopal journey of our star train linguistically: "Episcopia" in the Romanian border station Episcopia Bihor means diocese and "Püspök" of Hungarian junction Püspökladány means bishop.
heck6236.jpg

We were only supposed to stay until midnight, but having a base to relax is always nice. Hotel "Stokker" in vicinity of the station can be recommended. The rooms need slight renovation, otherwise everything is very friendly. It is also supposed to be one of the best restaurants in town, sadly closed on Mondays.
heck6237.jpg

Mix of architectural styles as we walked past "Crişul" shopping mall to Calea Republicii.
heck6238.jpg

One last dose of modern architecture.
heck6239.jpg

Then, the unbelievable collection of art nouveau buildings commences. At first you think: how nice... but then it does not stop.
Apollo palace with description.
heck6240.jpg

Stern palace had been built 1904-05 in the style of Secession influenced by Ödön Lechner.
heck6241.jpg

Kálmán Rimanóczy designed the blue palace Moskovits Miksa according to the style of Munich Secession.
heck6242.jpg

Rimanóczy palace, built by the architect for his father borrowing elements from the Venetian Gothic.
heck6243.jpg

Piaţa Regele Ferdinand panoramic image at the bottom including the state theater after plans by Fellner & Helmer, Hotel Astoria to its left.
heck6244.jpg

To the left neo-Gothic Roman-Catholic church St. Anna, to the right the Baptist church.
heck6245.jpg

We crossed Crișul Repede, and still no end to it. The mainly classicistic town hall with tower.
heck6246.jpg

Walking past the culture palace we recognized the reason why no streetcars were running in the city center: Over 1000 yards of Bulevardul Dimitrie Cantemir where all the eastern lines passed through had been completely torn up. No worries, I was about to visit active streetcars later. At least a monument could be found: Electric engine with factory number 33 had been built in 1905 by Katharinahütte at Rohrbach near St. Ingbert / Germany and delivered to a Romanian industrial railroad.
heck6247.jpg

By walking around the construction site, an opportunity for some "balcony photography" arose.
heck6248.jpg

We reached the star fortress only to find some sort of Oktoberfest held in mid-May attracting masses of visitors, which did not keep us there for long.
heck6249.jpg

If you are in a metropolis of almost 200000 people, you are allowed to eat something international. We wanted to take a break and looked up recommended places. The tuna steaks at restaurant "Rivo" on the shores of Crișul Repede were excellent.
heck6250.jpg

More art nouveau buildings next time (and streetcars... and trains...)! :0)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back