Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bassham

I am interested in the operations of coal piers and the pier cars (a.k .a. transfer cars) that transferred coal from train to ship during the steam era. I am particularly interested in the Norfolk & Western Railway Lambert's Point operations prior to 1954. I have researched the Norfolk and Western Historical Society (NWHS) website and found relevant photos and material but no details of operations and limited information concerning the pier cars. I know that Virginia had a large coal pier operation at Sewell's Point, but the NWHS has consumed that collection of information, and there are limited references.
I would be glad to hear from anyone with information about the coal pier's operations and the equipment used to transfer the coal from the trains' coal hoppers to the ships' cargo holds.
The attached photo is of an electric pier car, #10, at Lambert's Point from the NWHS database (retrieved 11/16/2000).
Thanks

Attachments

• Coal Transfer 10.jpg
    Coal Transfer 10.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 26
Any coal pier worker family members railfans? Would love to connect and hear stories told at the home.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back