Recent content by SuperToad

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. S

mechanical blue signal history, anyone know?

now i know the 218 came law in the 70s sometime.. and I know carmen were using blue flags long before that!
  2. S

mechanical blue signal history, anyone know?

Does anyone know the history of using the blue signal for mechanical people working on rolling stock? I know it was made federal law by cfr 49 part 218. But im wanting to know when it started.
  3. S

does anyone know mechanical car people in England/Europe?

Thanks for the reply! I would love to contact them directly, but this is an unofficial thing. I’m looking for someone who does the work, and would be interested in talking about it, off the clock.
  4. S

does anyone know mechanical car people in England/Europe?

This year I hope to take a couple trips to Europe and I am looking for mechanical people to talk shop with. I am a mechanical instructor for a class 1 railroad in the usa; I develop and provide training to our trainers and directly to the Carmen. I worked as a Carmen for 17 years before I got...
  5. S

Freight Car Brake Pipe Pressures?

The higher the brake pipe pressure the more air you have to make multiple applications. This becomes more important while comming down grades. Passenger cars use more air for doors, toilets ect so they can use the extra pressure to run those things as well as air for braking.
  6. S

Union Pacific Hiring Practices

I am around many of the hiring sessions and know the recruiters and if you smoke you wont get called for the interview. I just wish they wouldn’t hire aholes, and forget about the smokers! lol. Everyone brakes the smoking rules constantly on the up.
  7. S

a railroad 101 book or video? any know of one?

wikipedia? go ahead and try that for yourself. I have searched all over. and looked on the rr sites. There really is not anything out there, at least that I have found. I have ordered the booked mentioned above, I guess ill have to put it together myself... One of my biggest complaints...
  8. S

That is a pretty hefty book.. im needing more of a pamphlet! hahah though i may get this book and add to my reference library. I am amazed this is so hard to find. I called out sales department logically thinking they would have a presentation that they would show prospective customers they were...
  9. S

I am looking for a book or a video that gives an overview of what a railroad does. Explaining the major pieces of a railroad and how they work together. It does not need to be in depth just a basic high level view. Does anyone know of something like this out there? Ya, I could write this...
  10. S

A question on rail freight car terminology

im not toaly clear on what you are trying to say, but my best guess is Calculations made to show the fatigue resistance of a railcar to repeated loading and unloading cycles.
  11. S

How To Be A Foamer

There are so many people trying to catch us (railroad workers) doing something wrong. Every time I see someone around the railroad who is not a crew member of some craft, I get nervous. Who the heck is that? FRA? AAR? Management? We have a natural distrust of anyone, even more so when we see a...
  12. S

retirement gift question. where can i find...

I am not sure about the best place to ask this but… I am looking for a retirement gift for a fellow Carmen who is set to retire early summer. What I am wanting is a two model locomotive display; one Union Pacific and one Southern pacific, each with numbers relating to his hire year and his...
  13. S

Camp 6, the early years video 1968-71

very cool, I love things like that.
  14. S

Howdy from Central Illinois

be a carmen, much better quality of life.
  15. S

yet another new guy.

Hello everyone, I have been enjoying all the info and photos on this forum. I have worked as a carman for the last 17 years , recently I took a job as a shopcraft instructor for a class 1 railroad. I develop and instruct classes for the mechanical – car department peoeple. With this position...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)