Recent content by storminorman

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. S

New tower near Monroe St crossing

Just noticed a new tower South of the Monroe St crossing in Goshen IN. Not a real tall one.....doubt it's a PTC unit. Two small dipole antennas mounted on it...I think dipole.... Any ideas? Right next to the control box where last year they put new signal lights up.
  2. S

limestone slurry tank cars

Well let's see.....Goshen IN is my location...I see many logos on engine as they pass by. I am guessing it's the Norfolk & Southern line. Two lines here..and very busy ones at that.
  3. S

limestone slurry tank cars

Because of my proximity to the RR where I work I can rail watch all day long. I've noticed tankers labeled Limestone Slurry....Just what would this be used for? I'm guessing this is a mixture of liquid and fine limestone that gets pumped out of the rail car....
  4. S

what do track lights tell

That's a good question.....location is Goshen IN...just East of the Elkhart railyards...I see markings of all sorts on locomotives...I am going to say CSX...
  5. S

what do track lights tell

I work next to a 2 track line....and recently the light towers were moved real close. I often see lights switch from red...to yellow...or green. What exactly does the color of light tell the engineer?
  6. S

what is a positive train control tower

About a month ago the local electric company installed electrical service along the RR next to where i work. Todays newspaper has a public notice that a 60' Positive Train Control tower is being placed here. What is this? Anyone have details etc on this?
  7. S

steam pull

Pat...I Googled Railserve and didn't see anything there that would give me details on this.Can you send me that link to be sure I am on the right site?
  8. S

steam pull

Could very well be the deal...since it was 'hear say' to start with.
  9. S

steam pull

Just heard that the 1st weekend in May a steam unit will be pulling freight along what is known as the Marion line here in the Goshen IN area...Anyone know details re: this?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back