Recent content by Steve Young

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. S

Another loco identification

Fair comment Bob. I think you're right. And looking at that shot from the company report, as you say, there's no hint of an exhaust stack. Well done!
  2. S

I guess it's also possible that this thing was found to be a failure, if it is battery-electric, and has been scrapped, because there are no other references to it apart from the broker's website and the company report.
  3. S

Sorry, I don't know where or when this was taken. I took it straight off the broker's website. I saw those photos on the company's report for 2017, too, but I don't think it's a battery-electric, because a) battery critters are usually described as zero-emission, not Tier 4, and b) I can't see...
  4. S

Anyone know anything about this locomotive, please? Like, who built it, what the donor core was, a few basic specs etc. Thanks heaps! Argos is a cement company that seems to be based in Colombia, but has a significant presence in the USA, especially in the south-east.
  5. S

Loco identification???

It's not a genset, as such, it's a hybrid i.e. the traction power comes solely from the battery pack, which is in turn recharged by the generator. In a genset, the generator/s supply the traction power directly. There is no battery pack involved. http://www.trainweb.org/greengoats...
  6. S

Can someone please tell me what this rebuild is?

Yeah, I think I might have been barking up the wrong tree. (Sorry, bnsf971!) I think I have incorrectly assumed that Mid West were the rebuilder. The 'Green Plains' misled me; it probably isn't a Tier 4 repower at all, because Don Ross's page shows some old photos of this unit in the same...
  7. S

Can someone please tell me what this rebuild is?

MWLX is the reporting mark for Mid West Locomotive Works. Given that it has standard AAR-type trucks, it may well have been rebuilt from an Alco, but Mid-West, like the other locomotive rebuilders, tend to apply their own model designations to the locomotives they rebuild. This one has obviously...
  8. S

CLC CFA-16-4

That's the one!. Thank you. Looks like it's stored under cover, in a museum, so the future (however distant it may be) looks assured.
  9. S

CLC CFA-16-4

Check out this blog. https://www.bigdoer.com/37366/old-things/gas-plant-collection/?fbclid=IwAR2oL1SCuEkIPojjeyyvM08dxP4uAVHtEPSN_oF-jB3IIn-6p0G__8Orw-I In it, there's mention of a C-liner 'preserved' in Ottawa. "These cars are now essentially empty inside. The owner was hoping to cosmetically...
  10. S

Texas and Northern

Yeah, I noticed that too. I asked why, on one of the pictures. No answer yet.
  11. S

Texas and Northern

Hi folks. It's come to my attention that the T&N had quite a number of modified Alcos. This is the one that first attracted my attention; But there were others as well, which can be found here; http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locolist.aspx?id=TN Can anyone tell me, please, what happened to any...
  12. S

Comment by 'Steve Young' in media 'Brandt Energy's GenXt'

What happened to this unit? Hasn't been seen since 2013, apparently.
  13. S

Comment by 'Steve Young' in media 'Hopewell virginia'

It's a Republic RX500. I've never seen any photos of these 'in the wild'. Thanks for posting! http://www.republiclocomotive.com/index.html
  14. S

Cut-down GP39-2s

Hi folks. I came across these pictures on rrpicturearchives via a Facebook group. If you scroll from top to bottom you'll see the history of these units. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locopicture.aspx?id=919 As you can see, the most recent photos are 2014, fairly soon after the time they were...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back