Recent content by Steve Jeffs

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Steve Jeffs

ALCOs Down Under

G'day Bill, Independent Rail Australia are today part of Qube. The IRA was originally Lachlan Valley Rail Freight. The Lachlan Valley Railway commenced as a preservation society, and continue to operate in some facets today. Lachlan Alco Locomotive Group being an offshoot of such. Hunter Valley...
  2. Steve Jeffs

ALCOs Down Under

That You Tube link dosen't seem to work, I will try again; Steve.
  3. Steve Jeffs

ALCOs Down Under

G'day Bill, Excluding the iron ore Pilbara region of WA, NSW had the most aussie alcos for a state railway. The first alcos in NSW were the RSC3 MLW 40 class units imported from Canada. Those serving until the late 1960s and then utilized as parts to create the 442 class DL500G. Two of the 40...
  4. Steve Jeffs

ALCOs Down Under

G'day Bill, There were a total of 137 of the DL500B built in Australia by A E Goodwin from 1955. 100 of these being the NSWR 44 class, the others being the 930 class of the SAR. Yes, some still exist today in revenue service, 7 units, plus 13 units are preserved by various societies. They were...
  5. Steve Jeffs

CSX New Castle sub Firestone yard

G'day, I am curious about Firestone yard (MP 132) in Akron on the CSX New Castle sub. I was originally intrigued by the B&O CPL signal indications (1305.1 and 1305.2) featured in a photo. I now understand that these indications are Approach Limited. The left top flashing white not easily...
  6. Steves downunder trains

Steves downunder trains

Rail Transport Museum recently restored ex NSWR 4001 imported from MLW rides aussie rails again on a tour train to Bathurst sunday Dec 5th 2010. The chosen royal blue scheme contrasts with the more traditional indian red/tuscan schemes of assist preserved units 4520 and 44211.
  7. Steves downunder trains

Steves downunder trains

Rail Transport Museum recently restored ex NSWR 4001 imported from MLW rides aussie rails again on a tour train to Bathurst sunday Dec 5th 2010. The chosen royal blue scheme contrasts with the more traditional indian red/tuscan schemes of assist preserved units 4520 and 44211.
  8. Steves downunder trains

Steves downunder trains

9. Steve Jeffs

Comment by 'Steve Jeffs' in media 'In the Pass for Number 200'

Very interesting to notice the catch points (jack points as we call them here) in this shot. But, they do not appear to be interlocked with the main points (switches) as they would be here.
  10. Steve Jeffs

Comment by 'Steve Jeffs' in media 'Shoving to the Wye'

Great shot. But, fortunate that the patrons were'nt sitting in the chairs at the time.
  11. Steve's Down-under train shots

Steve's Down-under train shots

IRA MZ 1434 JT36C plus Chicago Freight Car Leasing Australia GL work northound train 1871 to Dubbo at Murrobo curve NSW in the morning fog.
  12. Steve's Down-under train shots

Steve's Down-under train shots

ex VR ML2 units B 61 and B 65 built 1952 now owned by Chicago Freight Car Leasing Australia shunt a rail set at Bathurst
  13. Steve's down-under train shots

Steve's down-under train shots

Northbound 36 curves around the Derwent River at the KPS 20 (20 k's north of Hobart yard) at Granton suburb approaching Bridgewater Junction. EE Z 2111 in the lead. The train will now struggle as it assails the numerous 2.5% grades until it reaches Parattah (KPS 88). Hopefully it will make it...
  14. Steve's down-under train shots

Notchless air throttle and Davies Metcalf brake valve, these EE's did take a bit of getting used to when I first was exiled to Tassie. Not one of my fav Aussie Alco sounds, but it was as close as I could get on the apple isle. YEP, I did enjoy them in preference to Ed of the WC imposed EMD things.
  15. Steve's down-under train shots

Tasrail train 46 curves around the beach at Penguin on the north west line heading to Burnie with a pair of Z class EEs, trailing Z 2111 retaining the Aussie National scheme while Z 2113 has the ATN Tasrail scheme inspired by Ed of the WC.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back