Recent content by rogerfarnworth

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. R

The Forest of Dean Railways and Tramways

Darkhill Ironworks, Titanic Steelworks and associated railways and tramways. ..... http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/09/12/the-forest-of-dean-milkwall-tramway-at-dark-hill
  2. R

This short addendum to my most recent post provides photographs with comments which were taken at the site of Flour Mill Colliery where The Flour Mill Ltd undertakes heavy engineering work maintaining and refurbishing steam locomotives...
  3. R

The Bream Heritage Walk, the Oakwood Tramway and The Flour Mill Ltd The Forest of Dean continues to be one of my favourites places. In 2020 we, once again, stayed there in the first week of September. This post returns to two earlier themes from the Forest...
  4. R

The Co. Donegal Railways

This next post about the Co. Donegal Railways is the first looking at the Strabane to Letterkenny Railway. It begins at Strabane and runs as far as the town of Raphoe which was an ancient seat of temporal and spiritual power. ...
  5. R

The Guinness Brewery Railways, Dublin

A short note about a couple of publications which focus on the Guinness Brewery Railways. ..... http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/07/22/the-guinness-brewery-railways-dublin-again
  6. R

The Co. Donegal Railways

After completing the first two articles in the series, covering the Glenties Branch, I was put in touch with Kerry Doherty who lives in Co. Donegal and he provided a few images of the branch. I have updated the two linked articles with a total of four photographs, three of which come from Kerry...
  7. R

The Railways of the Channel Islands

Part 1 - Alderney There was a short industrial railway on Alderney which has since become a tourist attraction on the island carrying passengers in two 1959 London underground carriages. http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/07/06/the-channel-islands-part-1-alderney
  8. R

Iran Railways

This is probably my penultimate post on the railways of Iran. I want, at some stage to review what is known about the railways which served the Oil fields in the South of Iran and a final installment. This post looks at the various forms of motive power on the railways of Iran since the first...
  9. R

The Co. Donegal Railways

This post covers the remaining length of the Glenties Branch. I have been unable to find early photographs of the locations along the line. http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/06/22/co-donegal-railways-ireland-part-2-the-glenties-branch-ballinamore-to-glenties
  10. R

The Co. Donegal Railways

I am working on the next length of the Glenties Branch but wanted to have a look at some of the railmotors/Railcars on the Co. Donegal Railways. This post covers the petrol-powered railmotors which were used on the network in the early part of the 20th century. ...
  11. R

Gloucester Docks (UK) and their Railways

This is the final installment of my look at the railways of Gloucester Docks. This article covers the western side of the docks and the upper reaches of the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal. ...
  12. R

The Co. Donegal Railways

My wife and I were due to spend a couple of weeks walking in Co. Donegal in April and May 2020. Instead, we remained at home in Ashton-under-Lyne, continuing to do the jobs we love! I would have been writing a blog about our journeys and walks but instead I have started a series about the...
  13. R

This second post in this series looks at the railways to the East of the Canal and Docks in Gloucester - The High Orchard Branch, the Hempsted Branch and the sidings associated with both these lines and the East side of the Docks. ...
  14. R

Neil Parkhouse, in one of his fantastic collections of colour photographs from the last decades of steam in Gloucestershire (British Railway History in Colour) focusses on the Midland lines serving the docks, specifically three lines in the area - the Tuffley Loop; the High Orchard Branch; and...
  15. R

The Cornwall (UK) Minerals Railway

This post results from reading Issue No. 30 of the "Railway Archive" Journal. It contains an article about the locomotives originally purchased for the Cornwall Minerals Railway. That company dramatically over-ordered motive power and when its lease was taken over by the GWR, 50% of its original...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)