Recent content by Robert Gift

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. R

Passengers jump off a stalled Denver Regional Transportation District train

https://denvergazette.com/news/passengers-on-stalled-rtd-a-line-train-jump-ship/article_4306a6e4-f6c1-11ee-89cc-7b3d1aaff4c9.html
  2. R

"Old fashioned" mee-mool lights (o)T(o) on Pennsylvania SH 22?

Looking at GooglEarth, did the track which is now "Ghost Town Trail" somewhere cross Pennsylvania SH22? Presumably signs of the track in thearly 1960's would stilbe noticeable. https://maps.app.goo.gl/NUss52mQ6wrH62bG9 Athe time we traveled SH22, I believe it was two lanes. On the way east...
  3. R

EPA did not declare public health emergency after fiery Ohio derailment

https://sentinelcolorado.com/uncategorized/ap-exclusive-epa-didnt-declare-a-public-health-emergency-after-fiery-ohio-derailment/
  4. R

Freight railroads must keep 2-person crews, according to new federal rule.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/nation-world/freight-railroads-2-person-crews-new-federal-rule/507-fac1bc48-719b-4695-be9f-a1623c6aeebf
  5. R

"Old fashioned" mee-mool lights (o)T(o) on Pennsylvania SH 22?

They looked very old. Think thathe track crossed State Highway 22 east of Blairsville, PA. As a little boy I hated them because they looked strange and different from modern (o)T(o). The track's rails aways looked rusty. I cannot find the track or evidence of it. It crossed SH22 out in the...
  6. R

Did a bridge builder construct a two-track bridge where the tracks "overlapped"? (Gauntlet)

Wonderful! Thought my idea was original. Should have known better. Spain? 5' gauge?
  7. R

Did a bridge builder construct a two-track bridge where the tracks "overlapped"? (Gauntlet)

From what I was told, the contractor saved much money building a narrower bridge usingauntletrack configuration which legally methe requirement of two tracks. Funny because I was planning to have three HO tracks converge and cross a narrow bridge like this: ] |A|B|C| [
  8. R

How much less power does a steam locomotive's rear cylinder volume produce compared to front?

Thank you. Yes, it would be minimal. Buthere would be less power due to the less space in the rear volume of the cylinder. As the piston moves forward bringing more of the piston rod into that increasing space thexpansion space ratio is decreased, taken up by more piston rod coming into that...
  9. R

How much less power does a steam locomotive's rear cylinder volume produce compared to front?

Some of the rear cylinder volume is taken up by the piston shaft* . *Sorry I do not knowhat it is called. Thank you.
  10. R

Is the spectacular curved stone arch bridge in east Pittsburgh, Pa, still present? Still in use?

Thank you. Makesense. Father would have been driving on State Highway 8 (Route 8) to get north to our home in McCandless Township. On that same trip, I believe, we saw the Union Switch and Signal Factory! (Now I would love to tour the facility.) I have a US&S target signal and FN-16A...
  11. R

Is the spectacular curved stone arch bridge in east Pittsburgh, Pa, still present? Still in use?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/V6V8YN3DMyiabgJFA The U-Haul truck conveys the great height of the bridge. I just do not remember it being more than one track wide. (Why no image?) (Must click on what appears.)
  12. R

Think I was told thathe railroad wanted two trackside-by-side so two trains could use the bridge simultaneously. Buthe railroad did not make it clear in theirequirement. The builder created a gauntlet so the bridge legally had two tracks. Should have taken a picture of the three-rail HO track...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back